Chapter 9- Unexpected Allies

27th November, 1942, Roy Chaudhary Kothi

Sitting by the large window in the west wing of the grand kothi, Batuk Roy Chaudhary was having a hard time controlling his urge to rush out and hug and kiss the two fur balls that were his niece and nephew. 

Bondita and Anirudh had brought their babies out in the sunlight for half an hour. They had laid them carefully on a wooden cot in their backyard, nestled between soft pillows and cushions. They had gotten the babies naked and had taken off their cloth-diapers too to let them "sunbathe" happily.

Bondita was massaging her daughter with warm oil, while Anirudh was cooing and playing with his son while simultaneously trying to put a cloth over the baby's "wee wee" to avoid any sudden "pee missile!" 

Batuk, who had been sleeping like Kumbhkaran 2.0 because of his heavy antidepressants and mind-relaxing medicines, was awake now, and was watching the sweet little family scene from his window. 

A small smile tugged at his lips upon watching how his usually serious and taciturn dada was making funny faces and voicing funny sounds to try to establish communication with his little ones! 

A soft laughter escaped Batuk's mouth as he watched his dada triumphantly raise a now wet loin cloth! He had successfully dodged the pee missile of his son after all! He was showing off the loin cloth to Bondita, as if it was a trophy, and she was also laughing at her husband's and son's antics. 

Batuk's smile diminished on looking at Bondita. The horrifying flashbacks of her standing in a ring of fire created by him, crying bitterly for her babies doused all his spirits, making him suddenly very restless. 

He was already very guilty; Big D was also angry with him, and he didn't know how to repair all the damages that he had done. 

His heart filled with anguish, he kept looking at the new parents playing happily with their kids in the backyard. He wanted to go out too. He wanted to hold those babies too. After Bondita, it was him who had spent the maximum time with them during their natal period. He naturally had a very strong love for those babies. They were his Big D's ansh, and they were his own blood too! 

He wanted to play with them too… but… because of all his own wretched deeds, he couldn't do that anymore. 

He had lost all his rights on those babies now. 

His chest constricted as a dead weight settled on his heart…

He was plunging back into the darkest recesses of his mind where there was a lot of remorse, a lot of guilt, and a lot of loneliness when suddenly, two small hands covered his eyes from the back of the sofa chair he was sitting on. 

The familiar scent of lillies and honey hit his nostrils and a smile automatically appeared on his lips! 

His new friend was here! 

And her flowery, happy presence was enough to pull him out from the deep depression he was sinking in. 

Holding her hands softly, with his smile deepening, he said, 

"Gotcha My Shashu-bear!! " 

Sighing, she dropped her hands from his eyes and whined in her soft, shrill voice, 

"Kyaaa Cool Dada… Aap ko kaise pata chala ke mien ayi hun?" 

Still smiling, he held one of her hands and brought her in front of him. 

Then making her sit on his lap gently, he said, 

"Abh tumse dosti ki hai tou nibhaana tou paday ga na! Aisa kaise hoskta hai ke mien apni sab se cute dost ko na pehchaanu?"