Chapter 8- On the Way to Make Amends...

23rd November 1942, Tulsipur

Batuk inhaled deeply as the jeep sped through the streets of Tulsipur. He didn't remember the last time that he was so happy. Last night's conversation with Mallika had lit a little ember of hope in him. Hope that maybe all was not lost, that somehow, he could clean this mess, and that everything would be alright if he tried hard enough. 

The ember blazed further when he woke up this morning to see his Big D in the room, discussing his medication with the doctor for when he was to be discharged. He could only stare as Big D carefully listened to the doctor, signed the discharge forms and turned to him.

"Kapde badal ke reception pe aa jao." He said curtly, gesturing to the clothes lying on the chair next to him, before turning and briskly walking out of the room.

Batuk shouldn't have been so surprised. After all, his Big D was a good man. He wouldn't have abandoned anyone like that. Plus, Big D had promised to help him get better, and Big D always kept his promises. However, Batuk was under no delusions of being forgiven. Big D may be taking him home, but he had not spoken a word to him apart from short instructions to get in the car. Batuk too, had not taken any initiative to break the silence, not knowing what was the right thing to say. Despite Mallika saying that an apology would work, somehow, this time a simple "Sorry" didn't seem enough.

He was roused from his musings when the car stopped. He looked around to see that instead of the Roy Chaudhary Haveli they were at the other kothi belonging to the family, across the backyard of the Haveli. Batuk looked at Big D in surprise. 

"Big D aap…"

"Tumhara ilaaj chal raha hou tab tak tum yahan rahoge. Mai nahi chahta ke poori tarah theek hone se pehle, tum kisi aise ke saath sampark mein raho jo tumhare ilaaj mein rukawat paida karein, na hi unn logon se jinko tum nuqsaan pahucha sako…"

Big D may not have named anyone, but Batuk understood. Batuk had understood in the last few days that his kaka, Trilochan Roy Chaudhary was wrong, Big D would never be unhappy about anything his pyaari Bondita ever did. 

Batuk now understood that his kaka had used him as a pawn, to mitigate his own complaints about his Bahu. And today Kaka could definitely hinder his treatment. 

This much he comprehended well and somewhat agreed with too, but the second reason hurt him like anything! 

His Big D was now under the impression that he, his own little brother, his blood and flesh had become a threat to Bondita, the babies and the family! 

Although Batuk was really hurt, he didn't blame his Big D for his misconception. After all, he had given him enough reasons to think that way too! He had proven dangerous to them all. 

His train of thoughts and self-incriminations halted by the next set of instructions by his brother who was looking ahead, instead of looking at him, his face wearing extremely serious and completely business-like expressions. 

"Tumhari dawaiyyan samay se lena zaroori hai, ab se tumhara khana, peena, sona sab pe nazar rahegi meri. Dawa dene mai khud aaunga. Baaki ka ilaaj tab shuru hoga jab dawai ki tumhe aadat padegi. Ramu..." He gestured to the manservant standing at the main door. "yahin pe hoga aur tumhe koi bhi madad chahiye tou usko poochh lena." 

Pausing to let it all sink, Anirudh adjusted his glasses, and this time, as if it was difficult for him to look at his face, he looked into his eyes, and with emphasis on each and every word, he said, 

"Ek zaruri baat dhiyan se suno, Tupur aur Tapur ke kamre pashchimi hisse mein hai isiliye tumhe purvi vibhaag mein rakha gaya hai. Isse kisiko asuvidha nahi hogi."