Part 21

I narrowed my eyes from the wind that was piercing my body to the bones. The coat wasn't helping much and as always I forgot to take my gloves with me.

Like on purpose my phone rang in my bag.

"Hey, honey! How are you?" my mom's happy voice beamed into my ear.

"I'm okay mom. How is your honeymoon?" I rounded the corner of the high building that shielded some wind from me.

"It's fun. Lukas is fishing all the time and I read your book," she said excitedly. "Honey, I loved it! It's so emotional and so you."

I smiled at her comment and entered the hall of the business center.

"Thanks, mom. I have to go now, late for work. Talk to you soon." I hung up and made my way to my office.

It's been almost half of a year since my heart was broken into million pieces.

I never had a chance to talk to Liam after that day at Noah's house. I got to know he changed his number and was starting a new company so clearly he was also starting a new life.

I went straight home from the airport and continued writing the novel I started at my mother's house. I was a crying mess for over a week until I finished it. I made it my graduation project and it got some good reviews. I was unexpectedly happy to hear that one publishing company offered me a position and I was more thrilled to hear that they weren't local. They printed my book and it got successful. I didn't expect that at all but I guess I really underestimated myself.

My mom got married to Lukas after my graduation and was living a whole new happy life. My heart warmed every time she sent me pictures of her and Lukas.

"Hi Allyson," I greeted my new friend and went to my desk. We two hit it off really quickly. She was this stunning kind person that no doubt could charm anybody.

"You remember you have a signing at 7?" she asked looking at me from her computer.

I rolled my eyes not giving her an answer. It was my first and last signing. I hated stuff like that but my boss insisted so I had no right to say no.

I looked out the window on the gloomy gray streets of New York wishing I could find him in the crowd. I knew it was almost surreal but hey, I started to believe in faith.

By the end of the day, I was exhausted and went straight home because Allyson scolded me to wear a pantsuit to a signing. We wanted to go for drinks after that so I took a quick shower and found a nice black dress that reached my knees. I put on a little makeup not wanting to jump out of my skin and took a cab to that little bookshop on the 5th St.

I didn't expect to see so many people in the shop and it honestly made my heart sink. Well, not so many but for me, even five were a lot.

I took my book in my hands and sighed. "Running from my demons" I circled the name with my fingertips.

After a long chat with the readers, I started to sign the books. People were asking me to write different wishes and shooting some photos with me. It felt like from another world.

"How should I sign it?" I opened one more sample and was about to start when I heard that voice.

"To the only of the many from the one and only." I closed my eyes trying to understand whether I was hallucinating or was it for real.

My hands started to shake uncontrollably and I dropped the pen.

"Devina, are you okay?" the concerned voice of Allyson sounded somewhere but I couldn't understand where.