Sunshine Nights

"One thing was known for certain. Her death had been no accident."
Kayla wouldn't admit out loud that maybe listening to true crime podcasts at one in the morning, when you were alone manning the infirmary, was not the best idea. It was cold outside and she wrapped in a blanket at the desk, earbuds in and kept an eye on the door in case any sick or injured campers made their way here. It was unlikely at this hour, but it was better safe than sorry. She shivered again, and she would swear it was the cold and not her podcast.
She jumped slightly when the door opened and someone stumbled in.
"Just here for an Adv-" Will blinked at the little bundle in front of him, looking slightly spooked from behind the desk. "Did something happen, Kayls?" He rushed over and crouched down to look at her, checking for something wrong.
"All good," she mumbled, relaxing. Will was many things, but he definitely wasn't one of the bad guys from a crime podcast.
"You sure? You didn't overuse your powers or anything, right? Did anyone come in with anything bad?"
"Shouldn't you be asleep?"
"I came in for an Advil. Gracie's got a tiny fever and she's being cranky about it and it's keeping Austin up, so I figured giving her one wouldn't be a bad idea."
"She does get cranky," Kayla agreed, swatting away his worried hand with her blanketed arm. "Mfine, promise."
He gave her a suspicious look and stood up again. "Call me if you need help, got it?" He asked sternly. "I'm staying up for Gracie anyway."
"Got it," Kayla nodded, fully intending to not call him at all, no matter what happened.
He grabbed the medicine he'd come for from the shelf and paused for a moment, then spun around on his heels and moved back next to Kayla.
"You were listening to something scary again, weren't you?"
"Wasn't!" Kayla protested.
Will sighed. "You know, just because Nico called you a ball of sunshine, it doesn't mean you need to prove him wrong by scaring yourself. He calls me his sunshine and you don't see me scaring myself."
"You're different. He says it affectionately," she stressed the word affectionately and looked up at him. "And you are scary when you want to be."
"You're plenty scary when you're mad, Kayla," Will said, taking her earbuds away without much protesting with her. "I'm gonna run back and give this to Gracie. I'll bring a movie and we'll hang out for the rest of the night, okay?"
Kayla nodded, more thankful than she'd admit. She was scared by the story and she did feel safe with Will. "Just don't tell Nico?"
"It'll be our secret," he laughed. "Give me five minutes."

Sure enough, five minutes later, Will showed up with two bags of candy, a movie, and more blankets. Kayla smiled weakly at the sight of him lugging all of the stuff for her. Will plopped it all down on one of the beds and motioned for her to come over, which she did, still wrapped in her blanket. He settled down and let her get comfortable on him before turning the movie on and handing her one of the candy bags.
"Lilo and Stitch?" She smiled, curling up on him and munching on her gummy worms.
"Your favourite," he smiled back, kissing the top of her head softly. "You can fall asleep if you want, Kayls."