calling: finale

"Are you okay?"

Kayla blinked at him in confusion before running a hand through her ginger and green hair. "Yeah? Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"Ah-uh-" Connor hummed and hawed for a few minutes, shifting from side to side. "You ah- you made a face that looked like you were in pain?"

For a daughter of the god of truth, Kayla was a liar on par with the residents of the Hermes cabin, and she did not hesitate. Connor Stoll was also a professional liar, and he knew she started her story that all of it was false.

"Are you hurt?" He interrupted.

"No-"

"Bullshit, Kayla. Where are you hurt? Yknow Will will kill us if you die while he's gone? Or just. Don't get taken care of in general."

"I'm fine, Connor! I'm a doctor!"

"Doctors can't treat themselves, I know that much, and you're as stubborn as everyone else in your cabin. How did it happen?"

Kayla considered putting up a fight, but Connor was glaring at her (and she knew he'd call Will if she continued to argue, and the last thing she wanted to do was interrupt his medical conference). With a defeating sigh, she leaned into Connor's hug.

"Travis stabbed me."

"Travis WHAT-"

"Ts not his fault, Connor. He was sleepwalking and the infirmary door was unlocked because I couldn't find the keys even though it turns out they were in the top drawer like they always are when Will leaves-"

"Kayla."

She stopped talking and let Connor hug her for another moment.

"Kayla, I'm not a doctor like you, but I know enough first aid to know that a stab wound definitely shouldn't have you running around and working like this."

"There's no other doctors on call, Connor. Someone has to keep the rest of the camp alive."

"I'll call Will."

"No! This is his first break in years- it's not fair to call him back for this! I can treat a stab wound!"

"Ok, ok fine. I won't call him, but you have to promise to rest and I'm staying here in the infirmary with you."

"Don't you have a cabin to run?"

"Consider it payback on Travis?"

Kayla chuckled and Connor grinned at her. With him helping around as best she could, she managed to find time to sleep and clean her stitches up. By the time Will was back, Kayla was almost completely healed, thanks to some ambrosia and nectar.

Her plan had been to keep it all a secret from him, but when he crawled into her bed and bear-hugged her the night he returned, mumbling about how proud he was and how he wouldn't leave her alone in the infirmary again, and his hair started glowing a little and she felt it heal completely, she knew Connor had told him.

She wasn't too upset; sometimes it was nice when Will spent more time with her.