Stand Together, Part 1

Four blue eyes, glancing at each other and then at the scene before them. Two hands, holding each other tightly, muscles clenched, just trying to stave off the inevitable feelings.

"Why aren't you with them?" Nico asked.

Kayla and Will both jumped. Neither had heard Nico come up from behind them.

"I've got archery practice," Kayla mumbled, shaking her head and leaving Will to answer Nico.
Nico looked at Will expectantly- the blond ran a hand through his hair.

"Just letting the younger ones have some time with dad," Will shrugged, lying.

Nico raised an eyebrow. "Don't lie to me, sunshine."

"Was I a little convincing?"

"No," Nico deadpanned. "What's really up? I thought Apollo was pretty decent for a godly parent."

"He is," Will answered.

Can't you learn to shoot a bow like your sister?

"But?" Nico prompted.

"We aren't that close I guess."

I would disown you if I could do it without letting Nico know.

"I thought you liked him."

"I'll catch up with him later. I like watching Gracie have fun with him."

You're a disgrace.

"What about Kayls?"

"She's still antsy around him, I think."

"The truth, Will."

"She doesn't wanna leave me alone, I guess."

Your siblings should have lived instead.

Kayla hit another bullseye and pulled another arrow without thinking. She didn't aim, didn't check her stance. She just shot.

Lee had more than one talent. Why can't you?

She could hear herself yelling at him- when she'd cursed at him, crying and he'd looked on with the air of indifference only a god could summon.
She shook the memory away and shot again.

Even Will's more talented than you.

The arrow sliced through the air- she knew it would hit the bullseye before it did, as she watched its orange trail of wind color the air around it.

I never even wanted a daughter.

Will had found her that night, crying on the beach. He'd told her and they'd cried together because all they had ever done was not enough for what they wanted. Then, they'd stood up, wiped their tears, and vowed to never let their younger siblings know.
Let them believe they have a good father.