35.

" So I had to find out through Ziggy yall tryna open some weak ass club with my money?" Max questioned puffing on a cigarette, glaring at Joseph and Dre whom he'd called to his home to speak to them about something that was 'urgent'.

Joseph chuckled under his breath shaking his head.

" Is something funny Jo?" He questioned.

" This what you called us here for?" Joseph questioned.

" You damn right this what I called you here for! That I had to find out through one of my workers and not my own sons that you tryna let go of our family business,"

Dre clinched his jaw annoyed.

Max always had a way of making things about himself and saying We when it came to their business, when in reality, the only We that was handling business was Joseph and Dre. Max was sitting at home getting a slice of the pie off the strength of the love they have for him.

After Max was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes combined with poor self care, he would fall ill frequently resulting in him having to step down and hand the business over to Dre. Dre having worked so closely with his father since he was young, it was something that he'd been getting ready for his whole life.

Out of Dre and Joseph, Dre was the one that showed the most interest in it. Joseph had dreams of being a basketball player as a child, but was forced into the life they lived by Max. That was soft to Max, and no child of his was going to be soft. He was forced into the cold hearted man he was today.

" Ziggy don't work for you, he work for me," Dre clarified, cutting his eyes at Max. " And we don't got to tell you shit pops. What Jo and I decide to do with our money is our business,"

" Y'all wouldn't have this opportunity if it wasn't for me and your dad," Max spat looking at Joseph. " We built this shit from the ground up, blood, sweat, and tears and you think you finna turn my legacy into some club?"

Joseph chuckled shaking his head just letting Dre speak. He wasn't the type to give anyone an explanation nor feed into anyone's bullshit. He simply just didn't care. It was sad to see an almost fifty year old man still have that same mentality. That's how he didn't want to be.

Joseph and Dre weren't completely phasing out their drug business, but they were moving it out of the streets and changing their clientele. No more street junkies and feens. They had their eyes set on the rich high rollers of New York.

" You haven't put in no work in almost two years. Me and Jo the one that been making connections and deals, breakin bred and doin all the ground work. That shit dead now. I got a son that need me, I got someone else future to worry about now and this ain't gone be apart of his," Dre said in a challenging tone.

Max chuckled ashing his cigarette. " So you cuttin my water off is what you sayin?" He glared.

It was like history was repeating itself all over again. Twenty years ago he was having the same talk with Rich and Darnell trying to cut him loose but Max refused to go. In his eyes, there was nothing with out him and he refused to let anyone cut him out the picture, not his best friends back then, and not his children now.

" Aint no water to be cut off pops, be glad I'm even givin you the courtesy of tellin you," Dre retorted.

" I made you!" Max yelled slamming his fists onto the table and standing up. " And I definitely, made you," He said pointing at Joseph.

Dre and Joseph glanced over at each other.

" What? Was this your little bitch idea? What's the bitches name? Grace?"