Chapter 16 - Levi

Long time, no see. I've been slowly working on this story. I tend to write one chapter a week, which is slow for me.

I hope you enjoy

Song choice: Savage Garden I Knew I Loved You. The lyrics kinda fit Levi and Hisu I guess.

It doesn't take long for Historia to find me as she clicks the door shut gently behind her, and then we stand in total silence. There's a grandfather clock to the right of the room, its pendulum swinging back and forth in an almost hypnotic fashion.

Birds chirp in the trees outside the window as my dour reflection gazes back at me, and I look like utter shit. The bags under my eyes look more atrocious than usual.

It baffles me why any woman would want me to father their child, let alone one as young and beautiful as Historia.

I guess I should make the most out of my handsome visage while I still have one. Because one day, I am going to get into some awful accident. One that will make me lose my right eye and fingers.

It's not worth thinking about right now. Honestly, all I care about is keeping the woman I love safe from harm. Something must have worked in our favour because why would Historia see a vision of the future, one where everything was way too advanced.

Kiyomi said it would take fifty years for our island to catch up with the rest of the world, but the rest of the world at that point will have advanced by another fifty years since they're progressing at a rapid pace. It seems impossible that we will ever catch up, but those colossal buildings of glass and metal I saw through Historia were something else.

I didn't even know buildings could look like that.

And what the hell was our grandchild Frieda holding in her hand? Old Man Levi thought it was going to give him a brain tumour.

Seems I'm going to become an even grumpier bastard one day.

"So... I take it you've had time to think things through?"

I don't answer her first; I just focus on my reflection's eyes since I look pretty pissed. I don't want her to think that I'm mad at her. I'm mad at our whole fucked up situation.

I could give her hundreds of babies, yet it still wouldn't stop the MPs from turning her titan as I ball my fists. I still stand by what I said; it is fucking bullshit. Historia deserves to be spared as much as our future children.

She shouldn't have to give up her own life to save the island.

I can't stand the thought of losing her one day. I've lost far too much already. Losing her will push me right over the edge. I may go rogue again, like the time I lost Isabel and Farlan, and it won't be pretty...

"Levi?" Historia's soft, wispy voice breaks the tense silence, and I sigh.

I relax my shoulders, trying to keep the murderous thoughts at bay. Nile may be our ally; he has kept our relationship a secret thus far, but right now his face is the only one I can conjure when I think of the MPs.

Historia steps closer, her soft footfalls padding along the carpet as she comes to a halt behind me, and her blonde reflection stands by my shoulder.

I picked a room at the end of the building, so all we have is a view of the small courtyard in the centre of Headquarters.

But someone's bound to walk past in the garden while they're admiring the tulips, and so I undo the tasselled ropes of the curtains, blocking us from view at last.