Chapter 17 - Hange

A/N: Hi, eveyrone! I'm back! How have you all been? How are you loving season 2 part 2? It's been awesome I think. I love the new opening music.

Well, here goes nothing. This is a short once, so I hope you enjoy.

Hange

I press my ear to the wooden door, trying to ascertain what they're saying in the room beyond.

All I can hear are the sound of their voices, yet no words. Historia sounds particularly distressed, yet I continue to listen, regardless.

I shouldn't be eavesdropping. But I've become privy to this secret mission now since I was the one who instigated it.

I have to ensure they do the deed and get the job done...

One of the perks of being the commander of the Curvey Corps. I'm sure Erwin would have done the same thing too. Maybe not as enthusiastically as me, but the enthusiasm would have been there all the same...

Erwin, like me, never would have sacrificed Historia like the MPs, and at times I feel as if he's looking over my shoulder, along with Moblit, Mike, Nanaba, and old Levi squad.

And I'm sure that Erwin would have agreed, too, that Historia's best cause of action right now would be to delay the MPs turning her as much as possible. It's a shame she has to make such a drastic choice, but it may just be the silver lining we need.

After all, Kiyomi may bring good news still. She may just be able to gain us enough sympathy from the world's more sympathetic nations, and as a plus, we'll still have a way to maintain the rumbling without turning anyone titan.

Levi's and Historia's children will have both Ackerman and royal blood, respectively, and the prospect sends my mind spinning.

I don't mean to treat their child like an experiment, but there's no denying the scientific marvel that their child will eventually become.

It will have her genes as well as Levi's (and let's hope for baby's sake they have Historia's sweet disposition, too).

Once Historia falls pregnant, we'll need to find a stand-in Father. But we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Honestly, I was too afraid to bring it up earlier in our private meeting in fear of pissing off Levi. Whoever will act as Historia's stand-in will have direct claim over her child, but we won't have any other choice. If the MPs found out that Levi fathered a child with Historia, then they'd be hostile for sure, and the last thing we need is a war amongst our own ranks.

I finally make out words "... never asked you to become my knight in the first place... then you wouldn't feel such a strong urge to protect me, and we never would have forged a bond... You... would have had much less at stake, much less to lose..."

Heaviness fills my chest when I hear Historia's confession. Is that honestly how she thinks we see her? Like a liability? It's not true. As scouts, it is our duty to protect the lives of those inside the walls, and that goes for Historia's too.

I will not stand by while the vicious cycle of titan inheritance continues, especially after how we fought so hard to stop the old king and his regime three years ago.

No more children will have to eat their parents, and so forth. It's immoral. As Eren said: "We will not breed children to be eaten and slaughtered like livestock..."

Levi takes a moment to respond, and it appears our queen has left him tongue-tied. I've never been privy to their love life until now, so I never really gave it much thought to how they act when they're alone in each other's presence.