Chapter 7 - Historia

A/N: This one was so sad to write. I cried a little writing it. I say little because I don't want to sound like a wuss 🤣

Song inspired for this chapter: Stay by Rihanna. This song is perfect for these two. 

My voice fails me as I say the words that I long to say out loud through our shared path, hoping he may hear...

After all, we are connected now. We opened a gateway between our minds; we bonded our souls. So how could they want to break us apart?

Levi's face remains a mask of hardened stone, and I envy his strength. He stays so calm and devoid of emotion, but I know he's dying inside.

This is breaking his heart as much as it's breaking mine, and I just can't take it. The sight of someone leaving me yet again.

First, my mother left, then Ymir left.

And now Levi's leaving...

My eyes brim with tears as I know I'm going to expose our secret to the soldier, but I don't care anymore.

They can't tear us apart.

I expect Levi to be mad at me for crying in front of the soldier, but instead, he just keeps his frozen face on me, his gaze penetrating deep into my soul, and that's when I see it — a distant glimmer...

He is hurting, and that just makes my eyes leak all the more.

It's... just not fair. I thought we'd at least get a little more time together before we had to say goodbye. But it was inevitable in the end.

It was only a matter of time until the higher-ups noticed that something was amiss between us, coming around the orphanage to investigate.

The orphanage Levi and I built together...

Levi was the first person who believed in me after all, helping me bring my vision to life, so I owe him everything.

He's been my knight much longer than I realised, and now... he's leaving.

Finally, he opens his mouth, saying to the soldier as he never takes his eyes off me. "Can... can we have a few more moments please?"

The soldier watches us suspiciously, his eyes falling on the copious amount of tears running down my cheeks. I'm not so good at hiding my emotions; I never was, even though I've tried countless times.

In the end, they always win.

"All right. The premier never gave a specific time frame..."

The man turns his back on us, showing us the military insignia of his uniform as he blesses us with the time we need.

Levi marches up the porch steps, his spine military straight as he leads me into the farmhouse.

By now the children have all gathered as they watch the soldier outside, but Levi continues forth, climbing up the rickety stairs until we reach my room at the top of the house.

The moment he shuts the door, I completely fall apart, and now my cries bounce off the walls once reality sinks in.

He's... leaving...

Levi looks around at me startled as he rushes to my side, clasping my shoulders. "Hey, pull it together... we have company..."

I'm past the point of caring now as I throw my arms around him, crying into his solid chest, and Levi freezes. The crying doesn't stop. It only intensifies the longer I'm near him, and now I try so hard to absorb his clean, fresh scent — the one with the hint of peppermint and cedar.