κ′ξ′ - Eikosi Eptah

Twenty-Seven

We walked side by side in silence. Paris nursed his temples and I ignored the way my head thrummed. Each step pulsed behind my eyes, the anger dimming into something more urgent.

"Paris—" I began, the same time Paris asked, "are you okay?"

We stopped walking, the shadows draping over us. I pressed my lips together in a thin line and shrugged.

"Yeah... are you?"

Paris rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't remember much, though I don't feel drunk."

He wasn't wrong. My mind was clearer now that Dionysus was gone. I was relieved, though, to know that Paris didn't remember much. It saved any embarrassment. "Dionysus has that effect, I guess."

Paris nodded and we resumed our trek back to the palace. Neither of us wanted to talk about what happened, and I was thankful when he changed the topic. Even if that was a topic I didn't want to discuss either.

"What were you doing out here?"

"I was looking for you."

"Oh?" The frown shifted into a shy smile. "Looking for me? What for?"

"Your mother... she..." My footsteps slowed and I hugged my waist. Instinctively, Paris drew close like a moth to a flame. "She intends to keep me here."

Though it was dark I saw Paris' lips curve in an elegant frown. "What do you mean?"

"She doesn't want me to go to Sparta with you. But, Paris, I have to go." Without thinking, I grabbed his hands. "You know how important it is that I go with you. Please, don't leave me here."

Paris' rough hands were warm and I imagined our pulses entwined. For the longest time, he was quiet, nothing but my rushing heartbeat and the cool breeze filling the space between us. Then he leaned in and brushed the back of his hand across my cheek.

"I don't think I have the power to keep you on the boat," he sighed, "it is my parents' wish and they are still my king and queen."

I tried to swallow the painful lump lodged in my throat. "No, I-I understand, but Paris, I can't stay here." The idea bloomed like a budding flower and I gasped. "Hide me on the boat."

"What?" Paris tried to pull away but my grip tightened. "That'll never work."

But it would. The idea was brilliant. I felt the rush of hope flooding through me once more.

"Take me to the docks and stow me away on the boat. Even if Hector finds me, he won't risk turning the boat around just because I'm there. All I have to do is remain hidden until we're well away from Anatolia."

Paris' frown was skeptical, nervous. "Alexis, I don't know..."

I pursed my lips and drew closer to him. "This is the only way we can go to Greece together. Please, Paris, don't leave me here. Not without you."

Manipulating his feelings to get what I wanted was terrible, but desperate times called for desperate measures. And, when Paris squeezed my hands back, I knew I was successful.

"I will hide you on the boat," Paris relented.

"And Zoisme," I gasped, "she must come with us as well. I don't want her here all alone."

Paris pursed his lips against the current of remarks that no doubt balanced on his tongue. "Fine. You'll both go together. I will determine which boat it is and give you the location."