κε′ - Eikosi Pente

Twenty-Five

I returned to the hall, wincing when the densely humid air touched my skin. The guests didn't seem to notice thanks to the constant supply of wine, food and music. The Trojans knew how to party.

Wading through the throngs of people, I made my way back to the head table. Priam had abandoned the table, mingling with his guests. Hecuba surveyed her party like a noble statue—though I noticed her fingers thrumming in time with the lively music. She was alone.

Frowning, I scanned the hall. "Have you seen where Paris went?"

The queen's slender eyebrows knitted together, her crystal eyes glossing over the attendees. "No. He's enjoying himself, I'm sure. He deserves it." Her gaze found me and she patted the seat beside her. "Come. Sit with me."

I hesitated. Thus far, the king and queen had kept their distance, though I had caught Hecuba watching me with subtle curiosity. As a queen, she was far too dignified to let her personal feelings get in the way of her duties, even if it was in regards to her children.

Now, however, it was just the two of us. Slowly, I eased myself down. Unable to relax, I perched on the edge of the seat, hands folded on my lap.

"How are you enjoying Ilios?" the queen asked.

"Oh." My eyes roamed the hall, the question unexpected. "It's lovely, though I haven't seen much outside the palace."

"Perhaps I can give you a tour after my sons depart."

Her words settled over me like an itchy blanket. She included Paris so easily in her statement. Of everyone, Hecuba had been the quickest to accept her younger son. But that wasn't what caught my attention. It was the implication that she didn't mean for me to go to Greece.

"Uh, that is a nice offer but I will be in Greece," I began, only to be silenced as the queen raised a hand.

"You believe that we would let you travel to Greece with our son?" she scoffed. "It is improper for an unwed woman to be in the company of an unwed man. What would the Greeks think? Paris does not need any negative assumptions attached to him, nor any distractions."

"Excuse me," I baulked, though the queen lifted her chin.

"It is best if you stay here. Should marriage really be what Paris desires, then I will assist you in the ways of becoming a proper Trojan wife."

"M-marriage?" My face turned scarlet as the word sputtered out of my mouth. Marriage. Honestly. But if she was preventing me from leaving, then I had bigger problems to contend with. I needed to find Paris.

Hecuba was smiling theatrically as if we were having a conversation about something frivolous, like shopping. "Everyone will come around, I assure you. Of course, your status is an issue, but Paris does seem to really care for you and I should honour his desires—"

I leapt to my feet, the room spinning with a dramatic twirl. "Excuse me, I-I need some air. Good talk."

Appalled, Hecuba didn't have the chance to stop me as I scampered away from the table. Hecuba couldn't prevent me from leaving. She had no right...

My steps slowed. Of course, she did. Women didn't have many rights. They were more property than anything. I was foolish to think I was above the rules simply because I was from a different time. Hecuba was only doing what she thought was right, and she was doing right by her son. Presenting him with a newly minted Alexis was her way of doing so.

Not that any of that mattered. I still needed to find a way onto the boat. I would not be stranded in Troy, doomed to be a complacent wife. Hands rolling into determined fists, I pushed through the crowd, searching for that familiar flop of dark hair and lean frame. There was no sign of Paris.