ε′ - Pente

FIVE

"Intruders?" I asked, stumbling as I tried to keep up.

Athena glided effortlessly through the forest. "That's likely."

"I thought you said no one could harm us here," I said, panic gripping me.

"They can't," Athena remarked, "but it doesn't stop them from trying."

The pond skipped into view. The bushes blocked any signs of what happened, but we could hear the sounds of a struggle.

And then another yelp, this one a man's, cut through the splashing water—a voice I remembered. I skidded to a halt, only for a moment. How did he get there?

I shook my head. Athena had already glided away, her shining helmet the only thing I could see over the bushes.

My feet were moving again. I rounded the bushes in time to see Athena hauling Dryope into the air. The nymph had become a vicious animal, kicking and snarling, her teeth gnashing together. Her owl eyes were wild, the pupils narrowed and sharp. Water dripped off her and she wasn't wearing any clothes. Heart sinking, I stepped closer to the pond. The nymph had been caught off guard while bathing.

And then I saw the intruder and I gasped. "Oh, my god—Paris."

Paris clutched his throat, coughing up a lung's worth of water, his Adam's apple bobbing painfully. His dark hair was plastered against his forehead and cheeks. The top of his peplos was soaked, clinging to his chest. I dropped to my knees next to him and cupped his face in my hands.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

Melted chocolate eyes met mine and some of the glaze cleared.

"I'm fine, Alexis—"

My name scratched his raw throat, sending him into another spiral of coughing. I rubbed his back.

"Just take it easy," I murmured, glancing back at Dryope.

The dryad was still struggling against Athena, though the doll-like creature from earlier was returning. Her predatory eyes snapped to me, not a trace of apology amongst the gold. The switch from docile to hostile was disarming, yet an example of how unpredictable this world was.

"What did you do?" I demanded, "you could have killed him."

"He came into my territory," Dryope snarled. She clawed at Paris, who winced. "Men have no right entering my home."

"He's not a man you want to kill, Dryope," Athena sighed. "Unless you want the wrath of Aphrodite and Apollo to rain down on you."

She held the tree nymph as if she were a squirming child. Effortless and unyielding, of course. Dryope was losing steam, her thrashing less enthusiastic now and more whiny. I was thankful Athena had yet to let her go. There was no telling what she'd do if released.

"He still shouldn't be here," Dryope sniffed. "He caught me bathing! What a little spy he is!"

"I wasn't spying," Paris argued. He'd climbed to his feet, his cheeks flushed, though his lips pale. "You tried to drown me."

Dryope snarled and kicked her little feet. "I should have finished, you nasty little man!"

I threw my hands up between them, though Athena's grip was unwavering. Imagine being relieved to have a goddess as a bodyguard.

"Why are you here, Paris?" I asked.

Paris suddenly looked away, and he shrugged. "I—"

"Oh, for the love of Zeus, does it matter?" Athena cut in. "Dryope, enough of your tantrum, he is not going to hurt you. He is off-limits, so settle down and I'll let you go."