ι′ - Deka

TEN

Apollo had sent Chiron to Anatolia after learning about Alexis and Paris' predicament. The god was furious about Zeus' and Athena's games, and was compelled to help. He was unable to attend to the matter himself, so he sent Chiron in his stead. I didn't know how Apollo brought them here, but my mind was still reeling over the fact that I was staring at the Chiron. Heracles' mentor. Achilles' mentor. The most civilized and caring centaur right there, before my very eyes. I was honoured that Apollo had sent Chiron to our aid. And relieved. We were finally in good, safe hands.

The mare was Chiron's daughter, Melanippe. She was to be our ride, once Chiron tended to Paris. She grazed on the grass nearby, her tail swishing contently. Her hair was so soft and smooth. I stroked her side, finding the gesture soothing. She twisted her head to stare at me and I saw a flicker of comfort in her dark eyes. I liked to think she was offering reassurance.

"These herbs will help with infection," Chiron explained, slathering a salve over Paris' head. "I made it myself with the herbs on Mount Pelion and the sap from the trees." He held out a new waterskin and Paris took it thirstily. "With the water from the Pelion waterfalls, you will be well enough to move. It is far superior to what you were drinking." Chiron picked up the dead cannibal's waterskin, sniffed it and wrinkled his nose. "Hideous creatures, those androphagi. I am sorry we were not here sooner to aid you."

"Thank you," the shepherd prince smiled.

The colour was back, his eyes lighting with their charismatic charm. He too was in awe, eyeing the gentle centaur with reverence and timidness. The stories of his mentorships have travelled through Anatolia as well, then.

"I never thought I'd ever meet you," he admitted, "that you were only for the greatest and strongest Greek heroes. I also assumed you'd take their side over a Trojan's."

Chiron scoffed, stuffing the salve back into his sack. "I am not on any side of this conflict. The concerns of men are not my own and though my services are given to those who hold certain destinies, I do not ignore those who require my help." He glanced at me with those sharp, black eyes, the look so penetrating, I couldn't hold it. "And you, Alexis, your destiny is greater than any of those I have mentored. It is an honour for me to teach you the ways of this world."

He stood and offered Paris a hand up. "Your father is searching for you. Take Melanippe, she knows where he is. You have your own destiny to pursue, though you do not know it yet." The centaur smiled and placed a hand on Paris' arm. "She is in good hands now."

"Wait, what?" Did I just hear that right? "No, I'm not leaving Paris... not until I know he'll be alright."

"He is fine," Chiron replied, "I am the finest healer and my daughter is a remarkable tracker. You must learn under my guidance and await further instruction."

"Look, I'm sure your guidance is great for heroes, but I am not that." I moved to stand next to Paris. "And, while yeah I'm grateful that Apollo sent you, I've had bad luck with the gods... I don't know if I can trust his motives."

"You can trust me. I do not lie and I do not care about these petty grievances between man and god. You will get the truth from me with none of those games."

"Then come with us. Or don't. Either way, Melanippe is going to be taking both of us to Paris' father." I crossed my arms, daring the centaur to argue. "I owe it to Paris to see he gets home safe."

A hand reached for me, calloused and reassuring. Paris took my hand in his and he squeezed it. A raven fluttered onto a branch nearby, squawking its arrival. I stared at it before looking at my hand intertwined with Paris'.