κ′ξ′ - Eikosi Ochtoe

Twenty-Eight.

The sun was rising from its slumber, the dark started to fade. The sky was a royal blue, velvet and soft. Twilight was the quietest moment, that peaceful time when all were sleeping, giving the world a chance to take a breath. That time of day had always been a favourite of mine. The silence was permeating and calming.

If only peace found me.

With the adrenaline and the guilt churning relentlessly in my gut and the lurking nightmares that haunted my nights, sleep evaded me. I found myself staring at the ceiling, unable to organize the chaotic tangle of emotions and thoughts.

Imprisonment was a horrifying notion. If I escaped on my own accord I risked getting caught again. I'd spent enough time wandering the halls of the palace to know where I was going, but I didn't know the city that lay beyond the palace walls. If Cassandra didn't hold up her end of the bargain, I was trapped. Doomed to be a bride or a slave. Or exiled. My fate was at the mercy of Priam's whims and Cassandra's deal.

And if she did help me escape, I would travel with Paris and Hector to Greece, triggering their downfall.

Paris.

I pursed my lips against the well of emotion that surged through me, like an electric current sparking my nerves. His gentle smile, those warm eyes that melted my insides like butter. He didn't deserve what was about to happen, nor did he deserve me. I was leading him straight to a path that would soil his name.

When the sky turned gray, weak trails of sun trying to get into my room, I heard the lock click. A soft knock announced a guest, and I lifted my head as the door eased open.

Cassandra glided into my room with silent grace, her blue veil concealing her features. Behind her, treading cautiously and carrying a bundle of cloth, was Zoisme. When our eyes met, a secret smile lifted her lips and she ducked her head with a quiet greeting.

"We are here to rescue you," Cassandra said, "and we've brought you a change of clothing. Something more suitable for the journey. Dress quickly. We must be swift to avoid the guards."

Despite the veil covering her features, her excitement rang clear. I wondered if my escape was the most rebellious thing the priestess had ever done.

Zoisme handed me the bundle of clothes and helped me dress. The dress was light to combat the heat and a rich blue, the edges stitched with gold embroidery. A darker blue travelling cloak was cinched over my shoulders to protect me from the sun and cooler evenings. Hardly discreet for sneaking out of the palace, but comfortable enough. As a finishing touch, Zoisme fastened a veil over my face, and I was relieved by the additional measure. With short red hair and pale skin, I stood out among the dark-skinned Trojans. In the palace, they all knew what I looked like. Hidden behind the veil, there was a level of anonymity I had never considered.

The veil tinted my vision, rendering Zoisme a bluish shadow, but when she was done, I grabbed her hand.

"Thank you," I said, hoping the sincerity seeped through the material.

"There is no need to thank me," Zoisme replied, her hand sliding away from mine. "I'm only doing what I was instructed—"

"Hurry," Cassandra cut in. She was a sentry at the door, watching the hall for guards or slaves.

I glanced at Zoisme, but she was already moving to the door, the moment over.

Sneaking out of the palace and into the city was as easy as Cassandra had promised. We moved through the halls, ignored by the guards. Just two women of noble birth, taking a stroll. I was supposed to be locked away in the bowels of the palace. The guards never would suspect me free and with my veil, I was a spectre. Invisible and ignored.