chapter seven

"Look, let's face it, the last administration might have just as well been running around yelling 'Toga!' for all the brilliant things they accomplished. But this year – everything changes, starting with the library. It's completely out of proportion with its subjects." Paris started. "I mean, there's five hundred volumes on the French Revolution, yet only three on the Crusades. How do they expect us to get a decent education with inferior resources like that? Huh, seems like the hour's almost up. Okay, well, I think this has been an extremely successful first gathering. I appreciate all the class presidents coming and being on time. So before I adjourn this meeting, is there anything anyone would like to say?"

"People's names might have been nice." Camille snorted.

"Actually, I have something I'd like to put on the table to be discussed." A girl called Francie spoke up.

"Oh, okay. Well, we only have a couple of minutes, so give us the Reader's Digest version." Paris requested.

"As president of the senior class, a certain problem has been brought to my attention. For the past thirty years, the Chilton regulations have stated that skirts must be no higher than three-quarters of an inch above the knee, that's it. Any higher, the student gets written up. I propose to put to an immediate vote an amendment to raise hemlines an additional inch and a half." Francie proposed.

"Hemlines?" Paris asked.

"That's right." Francie nodded.

"That's the major issue on the senior class' mind?" Paris inquired.

"It's one of the major issues, yes." Francie answered.

"Well, okay – thank you, Francie, for giving us something really important to mull over here. I anticipate a lot of sleepless nights for many of the people in this room. I will take that under advisement and get back to you as soon as I can." Paris continued.

"Oh, okay, fine. Thanks." Francie smiled.

"Now, if that's it, I officially call the first meeting of the Chilton student body presidents to a close. I'll see you all Friday." Paris banged the gavel.

"What idiot gave her a gavel?" Camille questioned.

***
Camille was sitting with Paris, Louise, Madeline and Francie. They were discussing proposals.

"So as soon as she gets out of intensive care, we'll get her signature, and then we can finally set about hiring a new librarian. Anything else?" Paris asked.

"Yes. Uh, I was thinking that maybe this year we should throw a little beginning of the school year dance." Louise suggested. "I mean, why wait until the tan fades to have a formal?"

"Dances are distracting." Paris disagreed.

"Dances help bring in money to pay for those stupid topiaries you want in the quad." Camille muttered.

"Draft a proposal and have it on my desk by tomorrow." Paris told Louise and Camille. "Madeline?"

"I would like to explore the option of having a professional photographer take the senior class photos." The black haired girl explained. lEvery year we use that cheesy picture place, and every year people wind up with those VH1 'Before They Were Stars' pictures, and I for one would like to stop the humiliation now."

"How are we going to get a professional photographer?" Paris questioned.

"Helmett Newton is my godfather." Louise informed them.

"Absolute score." Camille grinned.

"Okay, sign him up." Paris instructed Louise. "And tell him to leave the whips and chains at home. All right, I think that's all we have time for today."

"Um, excuse me, Paris? I was just wondering if you had time to think about my proposal?" Francie inquired.

"What proposal?" Paris asked.

"You know, the higher hemlines." Camille reminded her.

"Oh right. No, not yet." Paris shrugged.

"Okay, I guess I can wait. . . for awhile." Francie dismissed it.

"Patience is a virtue." Paris quoted.