chapter eighteen

"So do you think we got a good gift?" Camille asked Lane.

"It's foolproof." Lane replied.

"It's not very original." Rory  joined the conversation.

"A new mother can't have too many baby blankets. Not with the insane amount of stuff constantly oozing out of a baby's every orifice." Lane explained.

"Ew." Rory and Camille gagged.

"I just call it like I see it." Lane shrugged.

"Well, call it less graphically." Camille reprimanded her friend.

"The very concept of childbirth is vaguely disturbing." Lane started.

"Yeah. Kids are cool and all, but getting there seems like a big cosmic joke." Rory agreed.

"Definitely thought up by a man." Lane theorised.

"Lorelai said that when she told me and Rory where babies come from." Camille recalled.

"My mom still hasn't told me." Lane sighed.

"Really?" Camille questioned.

"When my cousin got pregnant, she said it's because an angel brushed its wings against her face." The girl with glasses laughed.

"We could fill you in on the details sometime if you want." Camille joked.

"No thanks, I've picked it up off the streets." Lane told her.

As they crossed the street they saw a car.

"That's new." Lane stated.

"Is it?" Rory asked.

"I've never seen it before, and I'm very into the minutia around here." Lane answered.

"That's for sure." Camille muttered.

"Do you know whose it is?" Lane inquired.

"Yup." The two girls nodded.

"Whose?" Lane pressed on for more information.

"Jess'." Camille responded.

"Jess? Jess, the guy who wrecked your car? He's got a car now?" Lane questioned.

"Mmhmm, looks that way." Camille put her hands in her jean pockets.

"That's outrageous." Lane exclaimed. "That's a travesty."

"It's not that big a deal." Camille shrugged.

"Oh, it's a humongous deal." Lane continued.

"You're taking this very hard." Rory pointed out.

"Because we're best friends. We're linked. I feel what you feel. Except for right now because you don't seem to be feeling anything and I'm incensed." Lane explained.

"It's just a car. It's nothing to get excited about." Camille told Lane.

***

"Come in, come in." Sherry greeted the girls and Lorelai.

"Nice place." Lorelai complimented to apartment.

"Very nice." Rory added.

"Well, it's a work-in-progress." Sherry shrugged. "It was so bachelor pad before: rock posters, modular furniture, magazines everywhere. I would pick up a TV Guide and it would be three months old.Well, here's the gang."

Six women were gathered on a sofa.

"You've got Gail, Jody, Maureen, Linda, Susan and Alice." Sherry introduced them.

"Hi." Camille waved.

"Hey." Lorelai smiled.

"This is Christopher's daughter, the famous Rory." Sherry pointed out Rory. "And Christopher sees Camille as a daughter but she only lives with Lorelai because her parents died."

Rory and Lorelai Camille with sympathy.

"And I did a little arm twisting and got Lorelai to come in, too." Sherry continued.

"The more the merrier." Jody grinned.

"Mojito?" Maureen offered Lorelai.

"Oh, now that you don't need to twist my arm for." Lorelai joked.

"You know Camille, Rory and I will be the only ones not imbibing. Oh, and G.G." Sherry giggled.

"Who?" Rory asked.

"G.G., short for Georgia. The two Gs." Sherry told her.

"That's cute." Camille smiled.

"So it's a girl?" Lorelai questioned.

"Yeah. Christopher would've been happy with either, but I really wanted a ballerina." Sherry explained. "Camille, Christopher told me that you're a ballerina."