reunion

this takes place at a 4 year reunion at camp halfblood...idk what else to say

travis:
The second I spotted the head of brown hair in the crowd, I immediately started moving towards it. It was easy to wordlessly leave the conversation I was having with Sherman, knowing who I could see. My thoughts jumbled together as I got closer and closer to her.

The pavilion had been cleared out and used as a place for all of the old campers who had fought Gaia to reunite. It was dark out, and the only sources of light were the stars and torches on the columns surrounding us. There was already around 100 ex-campers here, which only made it harder to get to her. She was on the outskirts of the party, standing by herself as she looked in the direction of the Demeter cabin.

"Is that you Katie Kat?" I asked, forcing the charisma and charm that most people recognized me for as my nerves spiked.

"Still keeping up with the annoying nicknames Stoll?" She answered as she slowly turned around.

"Well, they do say some things never cha-"

Woah.

Katie grinned up at me and said something that I couldn't hear.

I should've been more prepared. I thought dumbly. Maybe think up things to say and wait until the end to approach her, instead of heading straight towards her with no plan. I had a crush on her since I was 9, and I thought I could smoothly talk to her after not seeing her for 4 years?

I had always prided myself on being good on the spot, but when Katie looked like....this, all thoughts left my head. Physically, she looked exactly the same. The same wavy brown hair, dazzling green eyes, and constellation of freckles she had hadn't changed. But everything else was different.

She seemed so much more...confident. It was clear that in the 4 years since I had seen her she had grown up. Thinking about it, it was obvious that she had. So much could happen in 4 years, our childhood was proof of that. Still, it seemed impossible that she could be so different in the time I hadn't seen her.

Katie wasn't the same 17 year old that used to yell at me for pranking her, that was obvious. She carried herself with a relaxed confidence that I admired. Her smile was calm and open, not the guarded and stressed one she used to give me.

It was ridiculous the way I turned right back into the awe-struck 9 year old boy when I was around her. Her dark green eyes still hypnotized me, her freckles dancing as she talked still rendered me speechless, and the dimples that made their way onto her face when she smiled still grabbed my attention in an instant.

"Travis?" Katie said, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Right. What did you say?" I could feel my cheeks heat up as she looked at me with amusement.

"I asked what you've been up to the past couple years." She replied, her lips twitching upward.

"Oh. Well, you know. School, work, the usual." I stammered, scratching the back of my neck as I spoke.

"Where do you go to school?" She asked me.

"NYU. I'm a journalism major." I replied. Her eyebrows rose at my response. Most peoples reaction to me studying journalism is like that, but it's been want I have wanted to do since I was a kid.

"Really? I'm at Columbia." Now I looked surprised. We had been in the same state the entire time and I didn't know. I felt like an idiot.

"What are you studying?" I asked her, trying to focus on what she was saying and not how beautiful she looked in her white sundress.