About Face - Part 4

"How'd they get that?" Hotch demands, hiding his frustration behind a blank expression. Of course, he would look to JJ first, considering she's the Communication and Media Liaison.

JJ is quick to defend herself, "Not from me. Hotch, I called all the local police departments and I stressed withholding the mask."

I scan the room and every officer in it, searching for any signs on their faces that one of them tipped off the reporter in exchange for a favour or fame. But they all appear just as baffled as the rest of the team at the revelation on the screen.

Then, out of nowhere, someone speaks up, "I called them."

I can't believe either my eyes or ears when I follow that voice to Agent Rossi at the other end of the room. Did he just make a decision without involving the rest of the team? Not just any decision, one that could put an innocent woman's life at risk.

Hotch is the first to break the silence, "What?"

"I said the FBI thinks the masks means he's impotent," the senior agent says a-matter-of-factly.

Emily, Spencer and I exchange glances. They're just as shocked as I am - Emily doesn't even try to keep her jaw from dropping.

"Can I speak to you for a second?" Hotch signals Rossi to follow him to a private room, leaving the rest of us uncertain what to do in the meanwhile.

My eyes are glued on the door through which the two men disappeared, "Is it bad that I want to hear what they're saying?"

"Same," Emily agrees.

Nonetheless, I dare not give in to my curiosity to press my ear against the door and listen to their private conversation. Today is not the day to receive a warning or worse... get fired. Not to mention, it would be unprofessional and Agent Rossi will certainly not approve.

'Since when do you strive to impress him?' My subconscious joins the conversation, 'Last time I checked, you were hyper focused on becoming part of the team and getting them to like you.'

Yeah, well, David Rossi isn't just any profiler. He's the profiler. He's one of the founders of the BAU and without him, I'd probably not be where I am today.

'But you also have to be honest with yourself, he's not really what you expected.'

No, not at all. So far, all he's done is mutter to himself and scribble things down in his notebook. I half expected him to take charge, point out key element we as profilers had to look out for, give us pro-tips along the way, share words of wisdom here and there. Turns out, he's more of a lone wolf than anything, keeping to himself and trying to solve the case on his own.

'You still think he's handsome, though, considering his age and all...'

Tuning out the voice, I make way for the coffeepot for another cup of Joe. Sure, David Rossi is handsome, but so is Hotch and Derek and even Spencer. I work with a group of extremely good looking people who, if not profilers, would've found their calling in modeling or showbiz. And I'm going to be honest, when I started out as a normal field agent eleven months ago, I sometimes wished Aaron was single and not my boss. Thank goodness that crush passed when I learned he has a son. I'm all for children, don't get me wrong, but I never thought of myself as a mother before. If it's up to me, I'd rather be the cool aunt or godmother.

I realize too late the coffeepot is right next to the room Hotch and Rossi are in, which places me close enough to overhear some parts of their calm yet tense conversation.