The Date - Part 3

Estella POV

I wake up to the sound of rustling at my back. Of course, my first instinct would be to grab the gun strapped to the side of my nightstand considering I live alone and there's obviously someone in my apartment. However, I quickly realize who it is when last night's events replay in my head - meeting Jacques at the bar, actually having a nice conversation with him, the excessive amounts of flirting, and finally, inviting him in for a drink.

And everyone knows what that usually means.

Turning on my back and propping myself on my elbows, I'm met with the sight of Jacques getting dressed at the foot of the bed. His dark hair is already styled, it smells as if he took a shower, and I could be wrong, but it almost seems as if he's leaving. Wrapping the blankets around my naked form, I leave the comforts of my bed to approach him, stepping over my discarded dress and lacy undergarments from last night.

"Last night was amazing," I smile at him, not actually sure what else to say. Yes, last night was great, but it ended too soon. Well, to be more specific, he ended too soon. Yes, I got the release I needed, but there was no aftercare, no cuddling, nothing. He only turned on his side, muttered a goodnight, and fell asleep.

"Of course, it was," Jacques grins confidently, "I always leave my girls satisfied."

I blink, "Girls?"

"My exes," he elaborates and buttons his shirt to the top, "Ended my last relationship two weeks ago."

"Oh," not wanting to overthink what he just said, I decide to change the topic, "Want some breakfast? I can make pancakes or waffles or omelets if you'd like."

"Hmm, I'm weak for waffles."

"Perfect," I snatch a robe from my closet and head for the door, "I'll get them started. Find me in the kitchen when you're ready."

All I receive is a hum in response. Accepting that's all I'm going to get, I tie the robe at my waist and shuffle down the hall towards the kitchen. Checking the time, it reads 8:12 AM. It seems I might be late for work this morning, although I'm sure the team would understand. Opening the fridge, I take out all the ingredients necessary for waffles. However, that's when it hits me I've never asked Jacques if he's lactose intolerance or anything. Deciding to rather play it safe, I shuffle back to the room to ask... only to stop when hearing him talk to someone from the other side of the door.

"Bro, I had the most amazing night last night... I went on a date with this girl I met on the dating site - smoking hot let me tell you. Turns out, she's not too bad in bed as well... Am I going to see her again? Dude, you know that's not how I operate. But I'd be totally cool if you want her... Trust me, once you have her one her back, you're in for a real treat... Listen, I gotta run. Heather's been texting and calling nonstop. She's just as needy as this one. Can't get enough of the French."

I retreat from the door as soon as he ends the call, hurrying back to the kitchen to quickly stuff the ingredients in the nearest drawer or cupboard. Meanwhile, my throat is tight and my stomach turning at what I just heard. Sure, the evening wasn't perfect, but does he really see me as just a one-night-stand? And then he even has the audacity to 'recommend' me to his friend like I'm some lowlife corner hoe. Honestly, I'm not sure if I should cry or beat him to death with a waffle griddle.

'Well, you wanted a date, and you got one,' subconscious enters the scene, 'And to be frank, you didn't actually specify whether you want a long-term thing or just one evening's cavorting to get a certain senior agent out of you system.'

I silence the little voice when I hear my bedroom door opens and a pair of footsteps coming down the hall. No freaking way am I cooking a guy like that breakfast. The sooner he leaves, the sooner I can forget about him and get on with my life.