The One Where He Almost Missed - Part 1

Estella bursts into Garcia's bat cave with a duffle bag over one shoulder and a makeup bag in hand, "I need your help."

Penelope just about yeets her fluffy stress ball into the air and it hits the wall behind Estella's head - although, it hardly fazes her, "OH MY -- Estella! Don't do that."

Ignoring the tech analyst's panic, she takes her seat on the extra chair in the room and starts unpacking her makeup on the desk, lining up the foundations, eye shadows, mascara, and lipsticks. Once everything is on the table, she turns to her best friend with desperate eyes, "I have no idea what to wear tonight, nothing I do with my hair works, and for some reason, applying eyeliner is harder than beating Spencer at chess."

And everyone knows, it's impossible to beat Spencer at anything.

This date must have really gotten her all worked up, Penelope realizes once she got over the fright and studied her friend thoroughly. Her hair is pinned up in a messy bun, no doubt tousled from all the do's she tried styling it into already. Her face is dull and the tech analyst can tell she's been through more than one makeup look in the past few hours of getting ready. And not to mention her outfit - a pair of sweatpants, a loose T-shirt, and a pair of...

"Are those flip-flops?"

Estella's eyes narrows in warning.

"Never mind, I didn't see anything. Just please tell me you have something else to wear stashed in that duffle bag and not a dead body."

"I brought three dresses I bought this morning," Stella runs her hands over her face, "They're pretty, but too pretty for a date with Mark. I don't really want to wear them for him. Not yet, anyways. Does that make sense?"

Garcia nods, knowing damn well that she'd rather dress up for Agent Rossi, who she loves, instead of Mark, who she only likes. Snapping from her thoughts, she wheels her chair closer to Estella and picks up a makeup brush, "Alright, time to get you all dolled up. I assume you want something casual, right?"

"As long as it includes your famous smokey eye and cut crease liner, then yes."

Penelope does nothing to hide the satisfaction on her face as she sets to work. The computers are forgotten and she focuses completely on her new mission to glam up her best friend.

"Any word on the team?" Estella asks while Garcia is blending the different shades of color on her eyes. "I know Hotch and Reid are back, I had to sneak past them to avoid the Hotch Look and maybe a lecture."

"Emily texted me they're on their way and will probably be here in a few minutes. They landed about half an hour ago."

Estella's stomach drops and turns.

Shit.

Avoiding Hotch and Spencer was already mission impossible, and now the rest are on their way as well. Checking the clock on the wall, she calculates she has around half an hour to get ready before she has to head home for Mark to pick her up - right, he doesn't know she's here either. As far as he knows, she getting ready at her apartment where he has to pick her up at eight.

But it was simply impossible to pick a dress and do her hair and makeup while all she can think about it Rossi, and how he's the one she truly wants to go on a date with. Penelope is her last hope at looking decent for the restaurant she chose - Mark insisted she chooses a place. It's nothing fancy, hence the casual makeup look. It's a normal steakhouse with a decent wine menu. It felt like the safest option since she had no idea what Mark would like.

"Rossi can't know I'm here, Penny," she mutters while Garcia does the eyeliner, "I can't see him right now, not while I'm trying to settle this thing between Mark and me for good."