The Date - Part 1

Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness - Bertrand Russel

I wake up in my own bed the next morning, surrounded by a dozen decorative motivational quote cushions. My room is drowned in violet light as the sun shines through the purple curtains, and the digital clock on my nightstand reads 7:56 AM, reminding me I need to get to work by 9 AM. Last night was the first night I went right back home after we returned from the case. Usually, I'd spend the night at the Bureau and do some paperwork to clear my thoughts. But considering the countless awkward moments I put myself in - including the strange, fluttery feeling in my stomach I get whenever Rossi's near - I told the team goodnight and drove straight home. There was nothing I'd like more than to take a long bath with a glass of wine to forget everything that happened.

Of course, the team found it strange that I was the first to leave. After that stunt with Henry Frost and deliberately placing myself within shooting range, they all wanted to know if I was alright, what I was thinking and expressed how worried they were when Hotch told them what I was doing through the radios. The only person who doesn't know yet, is Penelope, although I'm pretty sure Emily and JJ already called her the moment we landed. I'm still anxiously awaiting a phone call from her in which she'll probably yell my ears off.

My thoughts are interrupted when my alarm goes off. Time to get up.

I'm lucky enough to live a few blocks from the BAU. Showering takes me about five minutes, doing my hair even less considering I usually leave it down or pin it up in a bun, and since we have a formal dress code at work, I don't have a variety of outfits to decide between each morning. All in all, my entire routine takes me around half an hour if I keep my makeup simple, which leaves me another thirty minutes to grab breakfast at a cafe on my way to the Bureau and get to work on time.

This morning, however, I'm dragging my feet. First, my hair disobeys and doesn't comply with either of the two options I named above. Second, I accidentally overdo my makeup when I realize I've encircled my entire eye with eyeliner, thus leaving me no choice to do the same with the other since I'm on a tight schedule. And third, between the usual black blazer, black slacks, white shirt and gray blazer, gray slacks and maroon shirt, I cannot seem to make up my mind what to wear. There's literally two options and neither of them appease me today - not to mention they wouldn't go well with the eyeliner.

Hanging them back aggressively, I'm well on my way to just wear a normal pair of jeans and track jacket, until I spot something brown standing out at the very back of the closet - my leather jacket. I haven't worn it since I finished uni which was around six years ago. Unhooking the jacket from the hanger, I hold it against my chest and look in the mirror. I wonder... I mean, Agent Greenaway wore leather jackets to work on a weekly basis while somehow staying within the rules of the dress code. What's stopping me then?

Well, you only live once.

"Morning, dream girl. Had a goo-" Derek does a double take when I stroll past him towards my desk, "Well, hello there, sugar mama. Those jeans are looking real good."

"They do?" I drop my bag on my desk and give myself a quick-once over. The skinny jeans were a heat-of-the-moment decision, but if Derek Morgan says they look good, who am I to argue? I'm wearing the brown leather jacket with a dark blue tank top underneath, along with a pair of ankle-high Chelsea boots to complete the outfit. My hair I decided to tie up in a high ponytail with two loose strands framing my face on each side. This is so different from the usual blazer and slacks I always wear, I feel like I'm sticking out somehow.

"Whoa," Emily freezes in her tracks with a mug of coffee in her hand, "Who are you and what have you done to Estella?"

"I just felt it's time..." I trail off as she circles me slowly, "...for something... new... Em, stop poking me."