Game

"... So?... Marc?"

Nathaniel looked to his side to see the noirette wasn't walking next to him anymore. "Marc?" He looked around for a moment, finally catching the bright red hoodie just about twenty feet behind him.

Marc had this deep-in-thought, skeptical, questioning look on his face, and Nathaniel didn't know why, but it looked so cute the way he furrowed his brows like that. He would always do it when trying to come up with what to write next when he's working on his fanfiction.

The redhead walked back over to the hoodie-clad boy and tapped his shoulder, snapping him out of his thoughts. "Oh-oh! Sorry, that just sounds..." He trailed off. "How do I say this?"

"Insane? Fucked in the head? Bogus?" Nathaniel listed, making Marc laugh at the outrageous guesses he came up with.

"Yeah," he said before taking a quick sip of his cherry slushie. "I-I really don't know, Nath. What's it called?"

"A Squip."

"See? That sounds made up," Marc pointed out. "And come on, it's a pill that makes you cool?"

Nathaniel groaned and shoved his hands into the pockets of his purple cardigan. "Maybe you're right. What the hell was I thinking?" Suddenly, he felt an arm wrap around his shoulders and had to resist the red that threatened to appear on his cheeks.

"How about you explain it again? Maybe over a quick game of Apocalypse of the Damned at your house? We can try to beat level 9," he crooned, knowing his friend could never resist the call of beating that hard-as-hell level.

Nathaniel gave his response as he wrapped an arm around Marc's waist and pulled him in a little closer. "I'm in.

Apocalypse of the Damned!

Level Nine!

The Cafetorium!

Marc and Nathaniel sat on the redhead's bed and waited for their game to load... And waited... And waited... With a sigh, Marc took a sip of his cherry slushie while Nathaniel tossed his controller up in the air and caught it a few times.

Finally, the screen showed a cafeteria in disarray. The walls were covered in blood, tables were damaged way beyond compare, and zombified students, teachers, and lunch ladies had them surrounded.

Marc's avatar revved their chainsaw while Nathaniel's cocked their gun.

"You ready?"

"Always."

Find the bad guy, push him aside
Then move on forward with your friend at your side
It's a two-player game, so when they make an attack
You know you got a brother, gonna have your back
Then you stay on track and..
Ah! Remain on course
And if they give you a smack, you..
Gah! You use your force!
And if you leave your brother behind, it's lame
'Cause it's an effed-up world
But it's a two-player game!
Hey!

"Well?"

Marc replayed Nathaniel's words over and over in his head again. This sounded too good to be true... It really did. Kim, the biggest asshole in school claims that he became so popular because of a pill with foreign technology inside of it. Now, he's offering Nathaniel one for six-hundred euros because the pill told him to.

Marc shrugged. "He's scamming you. He's scamming you in a very weird way. On your left," he added before cutting off the head of a zombie teacher.

"But what if he's not? This could be epic! All I have to do is..." He frowns. "Give the guy who tortures me every day-"