kth | never anything less than beautiful

I love you the first time, I love you the last time. — Lana Del Rey, Ultraviolence

Synopsis: That older step-brother of yours is a basket case. He's absurd with a touch of crazy and there's something enigmatic about him during dinner. And there's always been a puzzle there, a question untouched, since the day you moved to the hellhole of a house his daddy has.

A/N: I changed Tae's dad's name because I don't find it respectful to use his actual name for this stupid fic. So, I hope y'all like the name Jihun.

———

The Kim Mansion is definitely haunted. Before it was called that, it was named The Mariachi Castle because it was considered as such during the forty's. The Kims bought it immediately after the previous owners gone bankrupt and each of the family members start committing suicide. It was popular in the news when you were a kid. How almost every month, a descendant of the Mariachi family kills themself in an open highway.

It's truly horrid. But the bigger rumor than those suicides was the Kims immediate downfall after moving in. Almost like a curse which purpose is to haunt every family that lives in that house. The Kims businesses started to deteriorate and broken marriages occurred after. It was a long running neighbor gossip, and even the local papers were in on the familial news and affairs. But the Kims remained seated in their dining table even decades later. And now you're kind of part of their family.

Your suitcase falls on its own, maybe a sign that you shouldn't enter the scenic doorway that stand taller three times your height. The moment the door opened, your world began to grow and you thought about the many possibilities the house could collapse and how it could take years before they can find your tiny body.

To keep it simple, the house looked like a ten-times better rendition of where they filmed the music video of It Must Have Been Love. Window panes are painted of different cathedral palettes while the walls are textured with crown moulding patterns. Even though it seemed the house tried to look like it had personality, it didn't bloom as much as the properly taken care of flowers and plants. You were in the entrance with shadow looming against the longest living area you've seen, unsure and scared.

"Finally, she arrived," says your mom who looks like she's having the most fun walking down the bifurcated staircase. She has a wineglass in her hand and her sandals on the other. "We've been waiting for you."

You couldn't tell.

Jihun walks down in a silk purple robe and much like your mom, he was laughing on the way down. "Y/n, it's nice to finally meet you."

Cringing, you continued to meet them halfway. Jihun and his ex-wife with his son is on a painting on the wall with golden frames. They don't look happy in the picture aside from the dog near his son. Must be the curse.

"Didn't I tell you to wear the sundress I bought for you last Christmas?" you mom asks, hugging you.

And then Jihun hugged you as well and you'd rather not describe how that felt.

"It doesn't fit anymore. I'm just unpacking anyway, no need for sundresses."

"We're going to dinner, dear. How could you forget?" She places both sandals on the ground and wears them.

"It's like 4PM. What's the rush?"

"She is right. No need to rush. Antonio!" Jihun yelled the name and a server comes running.

Wow.

"Take her luggage. Set it up nice and perfect for my daughter," he spoke calmly, and Antonio nodded before taking your suitcase.

"I could've just-" Antonio was already upstairs with your stuff and you'd rather much complain with Jihun calling you daughter.

It's insane. He wasn't your dad. He's only your mom's husband and it's not gonna take her long before she moves on with the next and you come packing for it again.

The door opens again and closes with a thud sending the furniture to move a millimeter each. Behind you stand the weirdest fucking occurrence in your life.

You knew about it before your mom married Jihun, but you still hasn't shaken the feeling off.

Kim Taehyung is going to be your mom's step-son. And no, you're never calling him your step-brother. Or sibling. Or brother. Or bro. Or even anything.

Because Kim Taehyung was one of the scariest people you've ever known, responsible for many disasters that happened in your school. It's a miracle he hasn't shoot anyone yet but Kim Taehyung is that kind of guy. He's the guy that has his daddy pay for every damage and ever car crash. He's the guy that throws tantrums in the locker room because he argued with a teammate. Kim Taehyung is helpless and he's not asking for help. He's a fever dream of every teacher or parent, a nightmare of a person.

"There he is. Welcome back, my son."

Taehyung walks past his hug, running upstairs to his room and with another thud of the door, he disappeared.

Jihun huffed.

"He'll warm up to us," your mom assumed.

The problem is that Taehyung has always been a dick even before the stupid marriage. You've known the guy since 2nd grade and even then, he had always fucked around.

"I'l go to my room."

Jihun points at the door across Taehyung's on the other side of the house. Perfect. You could stay far away from him as possible. There has to be a bathroom in each of the room.

"Dinner at six!" she shouts from downstairs then tells a joke to Jihun and they giggled like high school kids.