Chapter six: Journey

Akame sat at the dining room table. Her long hair spread around her like a cloak, her green eyes stared at her food as she listened to Tajima Uchiha speak to her mother. To Akames right sat Madara his raven hair was disheveled and his dark eyes empty. His muscles were tense and his jaw clenched. "When will you all be departing?' questioned the queen calmly as she picked up some rice with her chop-sticks and placed it in her mouth. "Tomorrow morning at daw" said the eldest Uchiha as he mimicked the queen's action.
"Father, may I speak?" Madara asked calmly, though Akame could clearly see he was not calm at all. His hands were balled into fists under the table as he sat impeccably still. "Of course my son" said Tajima as he took another bite of his rice. His eyes regarded Marada with fondness. "Father, I think it is a bad idea for the Princess to come with us. She could get hurt" said Madara plainly, his dark eyes meeting his father in aninese challenge.
Akame stared at the boy next to her in shock, was he concerned for her safety? "The Princess will be fine, with her eyes she can defend herself" said Tajima break eye contact with his son. But Madara was not backing down. "Father, she has no experience and could be a liability. It's not safe for her or anyone around her!" Madara's composer began to slip as he tried to convince his father of his point.
"Is this concern I hear from you my son?" asked Madara's father with a smirk on his face and an evil look in his eyes. Madara froze, was he concerned for her safety? No he can't be, being concerned for someone else could be a liability . . . but the thought of her in danger made his blood boil even if she could protect herself, he didn't ever want her to have to experience battle.
Tajima smiled as Madara did not reply but sat there frozen in thought. Perhaps their plan had worked after all. "The princess will come with us, Madara, you will fetch her at dawn for the journey" said Tajima Uhciha calmly, his eyes meeting with that of akames mother as they shared the same crooked thought.

*****
Dawn had come for the outside world though it was not noticeable inside the city lost in time it was time to go. Madara leaned against the wall outside Akames door as he had been told to fetch her. This was ridiculous he thought to himself. You don't bring a princess to protect another one. Madara felt a small weight on his shoulder pulling him from his thoughts as he looked up from the floor. His dark eyes met with the circular green ones of Akame, as she stood in front of him her small hand rested on his shoulder as she looked at him with a look of concern in her eyes. "Madara, are you all right?" her soft soothing voice asked in a pleasant tone as she observed his tired looking form.
Madara wore a high-collared dark blue kimono with the Uchiha clan symbol most likely on its back and tan pants with boots. He had a katana strapped to his back and looked as if he was dressed for battle. However, otherwise he looked worn out and ready for bed. He had dark rings under his eyes and his muscles looked tired as if he had not slept at all. "You look terrible," Akame added, her gaze soft as she met his dark eyes. "Thanks" Madara muttered to himself as he pushed himself off the wall, Akames hand falling from his shoulder. "Lets go" he said in a deadpan tone causing Akame to frown as he was ignoring her. "Madara!" Akame called after him, causing him to stop and look back at her. "What's wrong?" she asked as she ran to catch up with him. "Tell me" she pleaded in a caring tone.
Madara stared at her blankly almost as if she was not even there. "You should not be coming" he said quietly as looked to the floor, his gaze empty. "Why? it's a simple body guarding mission, what could go wrong?" Akame asked as she crossed her arms over her chest and waited for an answer. "Everything can go wrong in a matter of seconds princess, and people you care about can be wiped from the earth in that time. I don't want you coming because I don't want that to even be a possibility" Madara said, his voice rising a bit in anger as his gaze met hers.
Akame smiled gently at the boy in front of her, he was worried he would lose her which was why he was being distant and angry. Heat began to rise to her cheeks at this thought but she pushed the embarrassment aside as she wrapped her arms around the boy and rested her head on his shoulder. "I promise nothing will happen to me, okay?' she whispered in his ear as she closed her eyes and enjoyed his warmth.
Madara sighed to himself as he allowed himself to relax as he rested his head on her shoulder and wrapped his arms around her small form. "You better keep that promise princess" he whispered as he hugged her tighter. "I will" Akame said as she pulled away from Madara her cheeks flushed a bright red as she said "we should get going" her voice shaking from her embarrassment.
Madara chuckled at her embarrassment "you look ridiculous" he said Akame glanced over at the boy a small smile was visible on his face which caused Akame to smile. As long as he was happy she would be too, Akame thought. Just seeing his smile made her happy.
The two arrived at the gate where the rest of the Uchiha warriors were waiting. "Finally you're here we may leave now." said Tahima as he ordered everyone to begin their journey to the nearby nation.
*****
The company arrived in the nation within a week's journey. The nation was full of lush green forests and beautiful crystal blue waterfalls. The sounds of birds rang through the air as the wind blew a cold breeze in. The bright yellow star of the sun bagan to set as the company passed through the gates of the nation. People stared as they made their way to the palace where they were to meet the futile lord of the nation and the princess they were to protect.
The Uhciha clan was greeted by the Lord with a banquet in their honor to welcome them to the city, Akame sat with Madara, Izuna and the boy's father at the head table where the lord and the other princess sat. "we humbly welcome you to our nation" said the lord to Tajima and the three children before booming "may the feast begin!"
As everyone began to eat Akame felt a set of eyes on her, glancing to her right she noticed the princess was watching her. The girl in question had shoulder length chocolate brown hair and dirt eyes. She wore a girly pink kimono with a purple shawl around her.
The princess' dirty eyes met Akames circular green one, the sight of the strange eyes caused the princess to jump and tap her father on the shoulder and whisper to him. The lord nodded before turning to Tajima . " Lord Tajima, my dear daughter would like to know more about the girl next to your eldest son." he said as he waited expectantly before adding"she does not look as if she is in your clan"
Madara sent a glare at the lord and his daughter at the remark. The princess of the other nation quickly looked away, scared of his stern dark gaze. "Oh curious is she? Well this is Princess Akame Otsutsuki. She is traveling with us as a wish of her mothers." said the Adult Uchiha calmly. "There you have it my dear" said the lord to his daughter who turned to look down the table with a mean look in her eyes "if she travels with your clan then why is she sitting next to you future head? I get that she is a princess but still" said the princes in a rath repulsive tone. As she glared at Akame. What was her deal? Akame wondered. Akame smiled at the princess in an attempt to ease the girl's anger but that only seemed to make her more angry. "The seating just happened to turn out that way" said Tajima politely as he ate some of his food.
"Daddy I don't like her sitting next to him, make her move!" squealed the princes like a demanding child who gets everything they ask for. The Lord looked apologetically at the Uchiha before continuing with his brats request "may I ask that princess Otsutsuki please move to please my daughter" said the lord like an obedient dog. Akame looked appalled at the girl. What did she have to do with Madara? Smiling, Akame nodded her head and stood from her spot "of course, excuse me" she said as she exited the hall.
Akame walked out to the courtyard where she strolled past the many flowers and trees. The moonlight shone down upon her, making her hair glow in the light. Eventually she came across a fountain in the middle of the garden where she sat down and stared down at the water.
The crystal clear water had cherry blossom petals flowing in it as the ripples from the fountain moved out towards the edges obscuring Her reflection. Akame looked down at the obscured reflection of a princess she did not recognize. Her long bluish white hair was beautifully put in an updo with a hair stick. She wore fancy earrings and a fancy white kimono with snowflakes decorating it, with a silk shawl.
Who was this princess she saw staring back at her in this obscured water. The girl in the water looked to have lived a carefree life with every desire granted to her, but . . . that was not her. She had lived a life of loneliness and pain. A life filled with suffering and weapons. She did not deserve to look like that rich child at the banquet, she did not deserve to be a princess. Reaching up Akame pulled the hair stick from her hair allowing her long hair to fall down and blow in the wind.
Placing the hair stick on the edge of the fountain Akame looked up at the starry sky. These were stars she had not seen before just like the ball of rock that glowed in the sky like a gem of snow. The light emanating from that rock illuminated the garden in a magical way as the sounds of cricket, wind and moving water filled her ears. A gentle breeze blew through the area rustling the leaves of the many cherry blossom trees causing them to discard the beautiful petals and cast them to the ground like forgotten toys.
Why did her mother want her to come on this trip? Was it to give her a sense of the real world? Or was it to get rid of her again?
Akame sat on the edge of the fountain staring up at the sky lost in thought for hours not realizing the time nor the weather as the night chill began to set in. "You should not stay out here too long, you will catch a cold" said a familiar deepening voice. Akame looked down at the water once more as she let out a sigh. The princess she did not recognize continued to look up at her as if asking her a silent question. "Neither should you" She mumbled as she dipped her hand in the cold water and splashed it to the side destroying the reflection before looking over at the boy. "I have not been out long, you on the other hand have been out for hours" he replied as he made his way over to her where he sat down on the edge of the fountain. Akame watched the boy with empty eyes shouldn't he be at the banquet?
"What does it matter? Shouldn't you be at the banquet?" she asked tilting her head to the side to observe the boy next to her. "No, the banquet just ended" he said as he pulled his legs up and crossed them as he faced the girl. "Oh . . . how is your new admirer?" she asked with fake sarcasm. Madara let out an exhausted sigh as he leaned back on his hands which he had placed behind him " annoying," he said flatly. "She took your spot after you left and would not leave me alone." he continued as he gazed up at the stars, the wind rustling his raven hair which looked blue in the moonlight. "I'm sorry" Akame mumbled as she looked down at her hands as she fiddled with her kimono.
"Huh" Madara said as he looked back at the girl, did she just apologize? Why is she apologizing? "Why are you apologizing? It's not your fault, and since when do you apologize to me?" he asked in a confused tone. Akame shrugged her shoulders as she stood from the fountain and dusted off her kimono. "You sounded annoyed," she said softly, grabbing her hair stick from the edge of the fountain as she stood up straight. "Goodnight Madara" she said as she turned and left the courtyard.
Madara watched her retreating silhouette till she was out of sight. "What was up with her?' Madara mused to himself. Is she angry at me for something? Did I do something to upset her? No she would have told me . . . right? Ugh why am I thinking it's my fault, she is probably just tired I did nothing. Madara thought to himself though deep down he knew she was not just tired.