Upgrade

Pearl, Peridot and Atom are all the residential tech experts out of the crystal gems so naturally when Atom wanted to make an upgrade to their defensive systems, they knew exactly who to ask for help and where to get it.

The trio met in the barn to discuss their new idea."So what did you have in mind" and of course, those two jumped at the opportunity to help their new friend.

"All I need you two to do is help insert this energy core and take out the current one that I have now." The two have a look of uncertainty on their faces. "And help me design the pattern on the suits outside!" They smile.

"Will this be safe?" Pearl asks as Peridot mirrors the look of concern on her face. "Aren't we basically taking out your battery?"

"Well technically yes..." The gems look more worried. "But I trust you guys to be able to help me with this, if I didn't have anyone helping me with this then I would probably not be able to put the other energy core in, so I trust you two enough to help me with this."

The Gems look at each other before nodding.

"Let's do this." Cue a montage of Atom and the gems coming up with ideas on what to base Atoms new armour on. They had ideas from modern gem armour that quartz and Jasper soldiers wear, even Pearl had some things to add when talking about their armour. Steven joined in at one point with Lapis on the sidelines, adding their ideas on what a good suit of armour would look like. After an hour of designing and crafting, the trio came up with an idea based around a drawing that Peridot did. (Obviously not my art)

"Are you two ready?" Atom asks the two technical gems that are holding some pliers and the gravity core

"Ready when you are" Atom lies down on the floor of the barn with a pillow supporting their head and lifts up their shirt showing a metallic skeleton with a glowing green sphere where a normal humans heart should be.

As Pearl pulls out the glowing sphere she sees a few wires connected to the sphere. "Oh, cut the yellow one first then the others." Pearl nods a Peridot holds the gravity core with anticipation.

She cuts the wire causing Atoms eyes to glow a neutral white colour. Just as she was about to cut the other two but a hand grabs hers. "Pearl, Peridot I don't have much time but you need to know that all of the Crystal Gems can't be in the same room together! She sees all! She knows what's going on at all times!" The two look at each other.

"Atom? Are you feeling alright?" Pearl asks as Peridot looks at the two with realisation and fear. "Peridot?"

"Quick cut the green wire!" Peridot rushes to snatch the pliers off of Pearl and quickly cuts the green wire.

"What was that about?!"

"I finally remembered where I saw them before, it was on homeworld." Pearl gasps before being shushed by Peridot. "There were many different Peridots working on a specialised gem that could explode at will and then rebuild itself but I though that project was disbanded when the gem couldn't reform."

A short beeping noise comes from Atom shaking the two out of their side conversation and back to the task at hand. "Hold this!" Peridot hands the gravity core to Pearl as Peridot cuts the final wire and pulls out the glowing green sphere. "Give it here!" She quickly snatches the gravity core and plugs it into Atoms chest causing their eyes to light up green again.

"Did it work?" They look around curiously to the two gems. "What's with that look on your faces? It's like you have seen a ghost." They smile and look down to their new core.

"This looks great! Thanks you two now to move onto the suit rendering." They pull over their shirt and look back to the gems. "This will take a while so I'm just going to shut off for a while if that's alright with you two?"

"Perfectly fine! Bye!" Peridot pulls Pearl outside of the barn leaving Atom confused once again. "That was sudden..." Atom quickly pulls up their mainframe, noticing a new function that they originally wanted and now finally has. The ability to defy gravity by any normal human or gems standards.

Atom closes their eyes along with their mainframe and rests in a hammock that the gems hung up earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~