~ A Letter from the Two~

[ Narrator's Perspective ]

   < To my dearest Emma, >

   < I've written down the plan below. >

Beneath the canopy of towering trees, Norman found himself within the heart of the forest, an untouched realm of nature's beauty. Sunlight streamed through the rustling leaves, casting dappled patterns on the ground. A cool breeze whispered through the foliage, carrying the scent of decaying leaves and the promise of impending winter. The date etched on the corner of a delicate paper was November 3rd, a day when autumn's golden hues painted the surroundings with a melancholic charm.

Beside him, a sprite-like child with boundless energy, had settled herself upon the earthy floor. In her lap rested a notebook, her nimble fingers bringing to life a world of sketches and imaginings. Her legs swung in rhythm to her artistic muse, adding a touch of vivacity to the tranquil scene.

The forest seemed to hold its breath, the hushed tranquility broken only by the scratching of pencil against paper.

Norman's gaze lifted upward, piercing through the tangled branches that stretched toward the heavens. Clouds drifted lazily across the pale blue canvas, a languid dance above the foliage. He was no stranger to the depths of despair, yet an eerie calmness had settled over his mind, his thoughts as steady as the gentle wind.

   (Tonight... I'm going to be shipped. I will be-)

A voice shattered the stillness, "Norman."

Turning towards the sound, Norman's eyes met the path leading through the woods, where a figure emerged. Yvette's animated response was immediate, her petite form springing to life as she dashed towards the newcomer.

   "Nina!" Yvette's enthusiasm was palpable as she embraced the newcomer, her small arms wrapping around Ninelie's waist. In response, Ninelie's hand found its place on Yvette's back, a gesture of affection and reassurance.

   "Just in time! I've got something to show you!" Yvette's words tumbled out as she dashed back to Norman, retrieving the fallen notebook.

Ninelie's lips curved into a soft smile, her solemn demeanor momentarily lightened.

   "Here!" Yvette eagerly presented the notebook to Ninelie, awaiting her reaction.

Amidst the tranquil scene, Norman's inquisitive voice finally emerged. "...What brings you here, Nina?" She was the last person that he had expected to see here.

Ninelie's gaze lowered, her voice carrying a faint note of reassurance. "Emma was wondering how you were doing, so I came on her behalf." Ninelie's gaze shifted downward, meeting the inquisitive stare of Yvette, an innocent observer to their exchange.

   (They look so serious, I wonder if something's wrong...) Yvette silently hugs her notebook and just then, she felt Ninelie's hand on her head.

   In Yvette's mind, questions blossomed like fragile petals, their presence barely discernible beneath the veneer of innocence. Ninelie's hand found its place atop her head, a gentle reassurance that quelled the burgeoning uncertainty.

   "Yvette, just now, I heard that Jemima and Anna were looking for you."

Wide-eyed and intrigued, Yvette absorbed the news with glee. "Really? They are?"

   "Yes, they wanted you to play with them. They're right over there, near the entrance of the forest."

   "A-Alright! Would you please hold onto this for me Nina? I'll go there right away."

   "Sure. Be careful when you run so you don't trip, okay?"

   "Got it!" With youthful exuberance, Yvette darted toward the entrance, leaving behind a fading trail of excitement.

Ninelie's countenance shifted, her gaze finding Norman.

   "What are you writing down? A love letter to Emma?"

   "N-No! It's—nothing,"

   "..."

   "Nina, what are you doing here-"

   "You're planning on deviating from Ray's strategy, aren't you?"

Ninelie's voice broke awkward tension, carrying a weight that echoed within the forest's embrace. Her intuition cut through the mists, sensing a departure from the path they had walked alongside Ray and Emma.

   "And what if I am?" Norman's head dipped, a silent acknowledgment of her observation.

   "Well," Ninlie's gaze pierced his, her own conviction unwavering, "Because I'm considering betraying Ray, even if just for a few days."

Norman's eyes widened, caught off guard by the unexpected revelation. It was a response he hadn't anticipated.

   "What are you saying? Why–"

   "I'll be shipped out shortly after you're gone," Ninlie interjected, her words laden with a gravity that demanded attention.

Norman's brow furrowed in confusion, his voice colored with disbelief, "What?"

   "You're the first one to know about this other than Mama. Could you keep this a secret from everyone else?" pleaded Ninelie.

Norman's sigh echoed, a complex mix of emotions swirling within, "Two shipments in a row? How is that possible? Especially in your current state..."

   "I'm all healed up now," Ninelie reassured, demonstrating her recovered arm by stretching it out. "So—can we discuss the plan now?"

Against the backdrop of the forest's whispered secrets, Norman and Ninelie engaged in a hushed conversation, meticulously weaving the threads of a new escape plan, one that would be entrusted to Emma as the guiding light toward their prison escape.