Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two | Adieu

[Narrator]   

Ninelie tenderly shut her suitcase, ensuring that every item was carefully packed inside. Her heart felt heavy, burdened by the necessity to depart from this farm she so deeply loathed. The sight of the place brought back memories, both pleasant and unpleasant, yet she was determined not to leave a single trace of herself behind.

Finally prepared, she made her way to the infirmary, where her dear friend Emma lay on her bed, her fiery orange hair a stark contrast to her tired, tear-streaked face.

Upon entering the room, Emma tearfully looked at Ninelie.

   "Nina..." Emma sniffled.

Ninelie approached her with a tender smile and enveloped Emma in a warm embrace. "Thank you for everything, Emma. It was fun while it lasted."

   "You don't have to go, please don't leave." Emma pleaded and Ninelie curved her lips into a smile.

   "It'll be alright, Emma. I have complete faith in you."

Ninelie leaned into the girl's ear and whispered, "I won't die." Ninelie whispered gently into Emma's ear before finally leaving the infirmary, leaving her friend behind.

Now, it was time to bid farewell to Ray, the person who had thawed her heart and kindled her love for books and literature. She searched the various rooms in the House, her footsteps echoing through the empty spaces. Finally, in the library, she found him sitting amidst a scattered collection of books, his eyes vacant and devoid of life.

Approaching him, Ninelie gently moved aside some books to make space. Kneeling down, she met Ray's emotionless gaze.

   "Ray, I'm getting ready to leave soon," she said, but received no response, "Don't be sad," she continued, "Emma and the others will always be there for you.

   "I did all of this for your sake," Ray whispered, his voice full of frustration, "And you're just going to let this happen?"

   "...I'm sorry." Ninelie muttered. 

Ray grasped onto her shoulders, his eyes pleading with desperation, "Run. Run away. Just wait for me-"

Before he finished his sentence, Ninelie hugged him as she soothingly patted his back. "You made my life worth living. It's such a shame that it has come to this, though, "

   "Don't—"

   "Thank you for everything, Ray. I am glad that I had met all of you. You three were the best family I could ever ask for." She whispered to him.