Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen | Weaknesses

[Narrator]     

Ray entered the study, its walls adorned with antique bookshelves and the soft scent of aged leather filling the air. He settled into a worn, leather-upholstered chair, with Isabella, a woman of poise and authority, closely observing him.

   "Mama."

Ray held a vintage-looking camera, its black exterior boasting intricate details of a bygone era. He aimed the camera at Isabella and clicked the shutter button. The photograph emerged from the camera's ejection slot, and Ray eagerly retrieved it, marveling at the old-fashioned charm of the instant print.

   "Woah... It doesn't show anything at first, huh," he exclaimed in amazement, studying the developing image.

Isabella's eyes narrowed with suspicion as she glanced at him. "A camera for your last reward?"

   "I was curious about photographs. I've only seen cameras in books, and to be honest, I also wanted to try developing photos myself." He held the photo close, appreciating the magic of capturing a moment in time.

   "Wow. It's really a moment in time." he said with a sense of wonder before standing up, ready to discuss their plans, "About the plan. Is after lunch okay?"

Her nod conveyed agreement, "Yes, that's fine."

Just as Ray was about to leave the room, Isabella seized the opportunity to confront him about a matter that had been weighing on her mind.

   "Why did you let her out?"

Ray halted in his tracks, turning around to face her. "Let out who?"

Isabella smiled amusingly, "Ninelie threw up blood again. The medication was an utter failure. In the meantime, I kept her inside the infirmary so she could rest, quietly, without any disturbance. I can't send out sick children, after all."

   "She's sick?" Ray looked at her anxiously.

Isabella confirmed the truth, her voice tinged with a sense of indifference, "Of course. She always has been such a frail child. That little girl won't be able to recover no matter how much I'll care for her." 

His anxiety evident, Ray questioned further, "What do you mean she threw up...blood?"

Drawing closer to the boy, Isabella's smile took on a sinister edge, "Yes. She's never got any better. In fact, she's gotten worse, and worse."

Ray lowered his gaze, greatly alarmed by what he was hearing.

   "Oh, I guess you never knew, did you?" Isabella taunted, turning her back and walking back to her ornate desk. "While she's in a stable state, I would like to ship her out. The headquarters had already agreed with my decision."