Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten | Plans

Chapter Ten | Plans

[Narrator]   

In a tense moment, Don and Gilda found themselves staring into Ninelie's somber eyes, their expressions contorted with horror upon hearing her devastating news about Conny. Don, trying to reject the unbearable truth, scoffed in disbelief, "What are you saying...right now?"

    "They found Conny's rotting body there," Ninelie elaborated. "Or how else would you like me to put it? It's hard to sugarcoat these things,"

    "Ninelie!" Emma exclaimed, greatly alarmed.

Fueled by anger and denial, Don grabbed Ninelie by the collar, pulling her closer as he shouted, "You're lying!"

    "I'm really not, though," Ninelie gave him a frustrated look.

Gilda, attempting to intervene, clutched onto Don's arm, pleading, "Wait, Don! Calm down—"

      "That's not true!" Don exclaimed. 

Releasing his grip on Ninelie's collar, Don stepped back, "Conny was sent out to bad people, and the others too. They're still alive, but they're in danger."

      "Come on, Don." Ninelie scowled, questioning his approach, "Don't make things harder for yourself."

    "Emma and Norman went to the gate; they saw exactly what happened. But where were you? You didn't even see anything, did you?" questioned Don. 

    "Of course not, I was here in the House. I knew about Conny's death from Emma and Norman,"

      "But you never saw it for yourself, you liar!"

Don's remark made her glare at him harder, "What? I'm the liar, now?"

Ray climbed down the ladder and went to Ninelie's side. Seeing how distressed she was, he patted her on the shoulder.

    "I think that's enough, Nina," muttered Ray.

Ninelie clenched her fist and looked away, feeling more frustrated than she's ever been. 'Goddammit.'