- Chapter Twenty Seven -

Things happened quickly after Scott spoke. The missiles fire endlessly towards the compound. Scott is blown away and Bruce watched as everyone sinks toward the ground.

The floor caves below them. Quickly, Bruce is able to hold up a piece of debris so it doesn't squish them all. His heart beats heavily as he catches his breath.

To his side, he could hear the raccoon panting. Some debris has fallen onto him. "I—I can't breath. I can't breath!" He grits out. Struggling in pain.

"Canopy, canopy, canopy, canopy!" Rhodey yells as he slightly struggles to get out of his now broken suit. He crawls over the rubble towards Rocket. He helps the racoon and together, they hurriedly get out of there.

"Hurry! Come on come on!"

"Rhodey!" Bruce calls out, after noticing the quickly increasing water. He watched with wide eyes as their engulfed and taken under.

"Mayday, mayday! Does anyone copy? We're in the lower level, we're drowning!" Rhodey calls out over his intercom.

"What?" The voice of Scott comes through.

"We're drowning! Does anyone copy?!"

"I'm here! Wait! I'm here!" He calls out. "Can you hear me!?"

—————————

Down in the sewer system. With heavy breathing, Clint tried to regain his senses. With shaky hands, he reached for a lone light and turned it on. Flashing it around the room, his eyes widen as he looks upward.

Shaking his head in disbelief, he continued looking around the room. "Cap?" He called out.
However, he got no responses.
Looking towards down the dark path, he takes one of his arrows with a light and shoots it down. When he sees that it's horded with Outriders, he shakes his head in frustration.

"Damn." He mutters.

Moving forward, his eyes widen again as he catches sight of the gauntlet. Without a second beat, he runs in the opposite direction as fast as he could.

—————————————

The compound was ruined. If they were going to get Evangeline back, there was no way they were going to live in any type of building that associated with The Avengers. No. They were done. They've been done for a long time. He's accepted that.

When they eventually got her back, they will live in his home in the woods. Alone. Just them, together. No city problems, not monsters. No aliens. They were done saving the world.

"Cap." Tony called out as he walked towards the former solider. He lay unconscious on the ground. He kneels towards him. He shook his shoulders. "Come on. Buddy, wake up. That's my man." He praises, once he slowly starts to open his eyes.

He blinks, holds his head and groans in slight pain. He looks to Tony. "What happened?" He asked, looking around where they were. His memory a bit foggy.

"You messed with time. It tends to mess back. You'll see." Tony answered. Tony helped Steve to his feet. He wobbled, but focused and stood straight.

Together, they walk over towards Thor, who could be scene watching 2014 Thanos from a distance.

"What's he been doing?" Tony asks the God, who's face was etched with determination and anger as he watched.

"Absolutely nothing." He answered, bitterly.