LENNY SUMMERS - cigarettes

WORD COUNT: 2331

------

I drop off another round of beers at a table for some drunken fools and circle back to the bar. The bartender is filling another glass of whiskey while handing a beer bottle to a man who can barely stand on his own two feet.

"Ay, I'm takin' a bathroom break!" I shout to the bartender, slamming my hand on the bar while doing so to get his attention.

He nods, "Be quick,"

I nod back at him before walking passed the bathroom and outside to where I took a seat at a bench and took in the sweet fresh air. Air in bars tend to get stuffy so, I make it a priority to get out while I can and breathe.

I'm working seven nights a week at this saloon, trying to make ends meet. My job is to help pass out the alcohol but, sometimes when I need an extra dollar, I do extra work. And by work I mean I whore around until some drunk fool stuffs some money in my dress. It ain't the best thing to do but it works for me.

The men that I find always say the same things, 'you're gorgeous, baby', 'what a pretty face'. And then they end up giving me what I want and run home to their wives. All of them are the same, same pick up lines, same slurred phrases, same longing looks, same touchy hands.

"Y/n! Get in here, the bars packed!" Val yells to me from inside the saloon.

Val. Valerie Evans. The one and only. She's the star in our saloon. The guys love seeing her and they all think she's gorgeous, drunk or sober, they're all over. She's constantly getting handed dollar bills and I always catch them watching her. I mean yeah, shes pretty, but she's really stuck up and rude. She's constantly telling me what to do and what I should wear and how I should talk. And it's not just me she does it to, she does it to everyone.

"Y/N!" The woman shouts again.

"Coming, your highness," I mutter to myself as I get up from the bench.

I make my way inside the saloon and I am already astonished from the amount of people that are here right now. The most we usually get is twenty but there's got to be at least ten more than that.

I make my way behind the bar and start helping to pour drinks. I hand two whiskeys to a rather handsome blue-eyed man. His smile is wide and his cheeks are rosy.

He grabs the drinks from my hands. "Hey there, pretty lady."

"Hi, darlin'." I reply to the idiot as I take a beer a hand it to another guy next to him.

The blue-eyed man has already drank both whiskeys by the time I turned back to him.

"You seen my friend Lenny?" He asks, his words slurred. "I can't find him."

I chuckle, shaking my head as I refill one of his glasses. "No, sir, I have not." I answer with a smile.

He shoots back the whiskey and slams the glass onto the bar counter. "If ya see him, tell him I'm upstairs." And with that, the man stumbles away from the bar and makes his way up the stairs, a drunken mess.

"Ay, Y/n! Get the poker table a round of beers." My blonde haired friend, Celia, yells to me from across the bar.

I nod before grabbing four beers and making my way towards the table.

I must've been lost in thought because while walking I stumbled into a man and all the beers in my hand were now on the floor, liquid splattered everywhere. I also got some beer on the poor man I bumped into.

I quickly grab a napkin from a nearby table and start rubbing at the mans clothing, apologies spilling out of my mouth as I attempt to get the stain out.