CHARLES SMITH - revenge and whiskey

WORD COUNT: 2182
———

"Well, that was a disaster," Sadie says as she races down the dirt path, trying to get to camp as fast as she can.

Me and Sadie went out to go rob some stagecoach. It was going well until we were ambushed by O' Driscolls and ended up getting shot at by like forty of them.

"Yeah," I look over myself and see several cuts and bruises on my body. When we were ambushed, we got thrown into the air. Wasn't good. "that had to be a trap. There wasn't even any money."

"We got twelve bucks." She takes the cash out of her satchel and waves it around. "A whole six dollars for us."

I ride up next to her and grab the money from her hand. I count twelve dollars and fifty-eight cents.

"That's a nasty cut, Y/n." She points at a wound on my arm.

I turn my arm so I can get a better view of the injury. That is nasty.

"Anyway, let's split the twelve bucks we got, shall we?" Sadie says.

I shake my head and start splitting the money. "Camp gets its share, Sadie." I remind her, grabbing the reins to guide my horse to turn a corner. I then go back to counting the money.

"Screw the camp. We worked for that money, we should get the full amount." She proclaims. I knew she was right, but it's what Dutch wants.

"Well the full amount we would get is six dollars and twenty-nine cents." I hand half of the money to her and she snatches it from my hand. Greedy.

"That's a six dollars and twenty-nine cents that we earned." The blonde retorts, looking to me with a smirk. "We don't gotta tell Dutch there was any money on the coach, you know?"

I smirk back at her and shove the money in my pocket. "Guess we don't."

We both silently agree to keep the money for ourselves and continue on to camp.

———

"So there was no money on that coach?" Dutch questions, an eyebrow raised. He doesn't seem to be buying it.

"Nope, wasn't worth the trouble," I reply, keeping a confident smile.

"Then why would O' Driscolls try to get the wagon instead?" Hosea, who's standing beside Dutch, asks.

"We don't know, ask Colm." Sadie drapes her arm over my shoulders. "Now if you'll excuse us, we need a damn drink." And with that, we walk off to Pearson's wagon and grab some beers.

"Well, that's that." Sadie says, taking a swig of the beer.

"Yup." I gulp down the brown liquid and throw the bottle to the ground.

"Damn, Y/n." I hear Charles' voice from behind me. I turn around to face my best friend and smile when I see him.

"Charles!" I jump into his arms, giving him a tight hug.

Sadie chuckles. "What a lightweight." She then walks off and goes about her business.

"How was the robbery?" He asks, placing his hand on the small of my back as we walk.

I take a look at the injury on my arm again. It still seems to be bleeding a little. "It was horrible! We got ambushed."

Charles lightly grabs my arm and examines my wound. "This needs stitches, Y/n."

I pull my arm away and shake my head. "I'm fine, Charles," I insist, stopping our walk at the water of the lake next to our camp.

"No, you're not. Let me stitch it for you."