12. Patrón

Toni and Jaiden remained in the bed, exploring each other with their lips. But the moment didn't last for long because Toni's phone chimed. He sighed and reluctantly shifted his body off Jaiden.

Jaiden didn't fault him. He knew that it was probably work, which meant that the notification was for him as well.

"Chief is hoping for updates." Toni said with a groan.

Jaiden ran his hands through his hair. "I figured. This case is... complicated."

Toni gave him a concerned look. "You regret taking the call?"

Jaiden sat up in the bed and smirked. "I think the call was definitely worth taking... but I hate how the story is incomplete."

Incomplete was putting it mildly. It was a fucking mess. The crime scene was organized, staged, and frustratingly free of any evidence that pointed out a suspect or motive. He wasn't ruling out the possibility of it being cult related, but a cult didn't feel quite right. So, in the end, he had more questions than answers. Why was it staged? Why Lady of Guadalupe? And why mutilate her? Perhaps there was something less than pure about her that was discovered. Was someone jealous?

Jaiden played with the ring on his hand as he ran through scenarios. But he was jarred out of his train of thought when Toni stood up and held out a hand. "Before we start the day, let's take a shower."

Jaiden grinned, remembering how the last shower ended with them. He knew that there was no time for a repeat but didn't mind teasing Toni with a small preview of future adventures.

However, after the shower, Jaiden was less than thrilled about his decision. Teasing Toni was his own undoing because now he had to go shifting through annoying paperwork in the office while being sexually frustrated. He knew he was going to be walking around with a hardon pressed against his jeans all day.

Fucking showers.

In the middle of it all, Toni had offered Jaiden to stay at his place to crash during most nights while working on the case. Jaiden's resolve had already dissolved with a naked and wet Toni in front of him, so in his sexually hazy state, he mindlessly agreed.

Toni knew what he was doing, so now Jaiden had to deal with Toni's cocky and triumphant grin that tended to make Jaiden's pants even tighter.

However, because of this decision, they now needed to stop by Jaiden's apartment to pack some more clothes and items.  As they were walking down the hall, he saw several his neighbors standing in their doorways and looking towards his apartment. He knew something unpleasant was happening, especially when he heard a familiar shrill voice. Jaiden stopped his steps while Toni gave him a confused look.

This was the last thing he wanted to deal with today. His migraine was gone, but that didn't mean he wasn't in the best shape. The last thing he needed was a war with his stepfamily before diving into a murder.

Lupe, his neighbor, saw him and rushed towards him and spoke quickly in Spanish. She told him that the crazy woman from before brought the police this time.

Jaiden groaned and Toni stifled a laugh. "Crazy woman?"

"Remember how I mentioned my family situation may not be the best?"

Toni nodded.

"My stepmother is decidedly proving my point." Jaiden said with a glare towards his apartment.

Toni rubbed his jaw. "Stepmother? Does she not know what you do for a living?"

Jaiden looked embarrassed. "No. Our conversations had never been productive, so she just assumed I was doing something unsavory. I gave up trying to tell her... You can wait in the car if you would like. You do not need to deal with this first thing in the morning."