25. El Vacho

The following morning, Jaiden and Toni were back at the house and staring into a small hidden closet littered with pamphlets wearing identical disgusted looks.

Pastor Gibson had skeletons in his closet... literally.

Nate was leaning against the wall. "The Pastor has some fucked up Halloween decorations."

Jaiden groaned. "Nate."

Nate held up his hands. "I know... that was a lame joke. Let me think of a better one."

Jaiden frowned. "Tell me about the fucking skeleton, Nate."

Nate sighed dramatically. "How are you still an asshole when you're getting laid?"

Jaiden straightened his back in shock, although he should be used to Nate's forwardness by this point in their friendship. His eyes swept the room and reluctantly confirmed that the four officers and the handful of techs heard the comment.

Jaiden also noticed Toni, who was stifling a laugh. Jaiden groaned again. "I fucking hate you, Nate."

He held his chest like he was hurt. "You love me. I'm your best friend... more like your only friend here."

"I should have hit you harder when I first met you," Jaiden said with a shake of his head.

Nate leaned against Jaiden, trying to rest his arm on his shoulders, but Jaiden was a little too tall, making Nate look awkward. Still, not much stopped Nate, especially when he was comfortable with who he was talking to. "Come on. You should start relaxing after getting all that phenomenal dick."

Nate cursed inwardly when he realized what he said and where he said it. He pulled back with a hand clasped over his mouth. Jaiden never talked about his sexuality in the precinct, and Nate now outed Jaiden in front of other cops.

"Jaiden, I'm so sorry." He whispered and looked around nervously.

However, contrary to his expectations, Jaiden laughed. "We work in a police station. If anyone were going to find out I'm gay, it would be a building full of detectives."

Nate still looked nervous. "But..."

The laughter in the room cut off Nate's statement. Contrary to Nate's fears, the cops in the room agreed with Jaiden. There were a few bars that the cops frequented, and Jaiden had no hesitations about bringing his dates or one-night stands there. Most of the younger cops didn't mind or didn't care. However, some of the old school, old generation cops had an issue with him being gay. This just helped him become more isolated, which he didn't mind.

Despite it all, his tough exterior and hardcore work ethic won out. They couldn't deny that Jaiden was good at what he did and respected him in that regard. Sure, some would never accept him, but Jaiden had made it very clear that he didn't give a shit about them either.

Jaiden waved his hand. "What's really shitty is that instead of getting dick—"

"Phenomenal dick." Toni interrupted with a mischievous grin. "I felt like that was an important point."

Jaiden flushed and rubbed the back of his neck.  "Fine.  Instead of getting phenomenal dick, I am here in this fucking house standing in front of an unknown skeleton with 'pray away the gay' conversion therapy pamphlets."

He picked up one of the pamphlets that had 'Repent! Turn or Burn!' written on it, with paragraphs about how homosexuality was Satan's trick.

Jaiden clicked his tongue and tossed the pamphlet away. "I'm not being an asshole right now; I'm fucking pissed. Now tell me about the goddamn skeleton."