39. Lemon Drops and Margaritas

•••••

Jaiden was sitting on the rooftop again, watching the sunrise. There was a slight breeze that made the morning serene. He looked to the side and found Carlos sitting next to him with a cup of coffee.

Jaiden could feel the anticipation burning inside of him. "Tio, what if I don't make the cut."

Carlos chuckled. "You're the best damn cop I know. You're going to get detective."

Jaiden sighed. "I wish you could just tell me. I can't handle this anticipation bullshit."

"And if you don't get it, what are you going to do? Throw a pity party?"

Jaiden clenched his jaw. "No. I'll try harder, and I'll get it next year."

"Good, then you'll be an even better cop than you are now." Carlos smiled. "But I have never seen anyone try so hard for something before. You're not just shooting for detective because you hate the uniform. There's more to it now... a goal even."

Jaiden was silent for a moment. "I don't know when it happened, but I started to like my job, and suddenly detective became my future. I have never worked towards anything like this before. I really want this. And I want to make you proud."

"You can push papers all goddamn day, and I'll be proud of you. But you're going to get detective. You're good at your job, and I'm not the only one who sees it."

Jaiden released a heavy breath. "I hope so."

"Just know as a detective, shit's going to get hard real fast for you, son." Carlos said as he took a drink.

Jaiden smiled wryly. "It's not hard already? The anticipation alone is killing me."

Carlos chuckled. "You have survived more than others could endure. You can survive this too."

•••••

Jaiden felt his consciousness pulling at him again but kept his eyes closed. He wished he was back in the dream—the day he received news about making it as a detective. 

But reality was cruel, and the pain he felt completely pulled him out of the dream.  His chest felt tight, and it ached with each breath. His arm and shoulder kept throbbing with shooting pain. His head was in agony. He could feel the air hit the cuts from the bottle and fists, and it felt like it was on fire. The headache made him wish he was unconscious again. 

He was tempted to taunt Christopher again to get his wish.

But his mouth has gotten him in trouble how many times now? Perhaps he should try to keep his mouth shut, maybe act somewhat amicable. Christopher wasn't someone who was angered easily, but god knows what that would look like if he passed that threshold.

Jaiden kept his head hanging low, hoping that minimal movement would help avoid triggering additional pain.

Had Toni figured out where he was?

How long had it been?

He was tempted to call out and ask about how long they had him tied up, but he heard whispered arguing within the room.

"You're not answering me, Chris. Why was there evidence left? That pamphlet led them straight to you and Terrance!" Sierra said with a tremble in her voice.

"It was probably an accident. It happens." Christopher seemed unfazed by the confrontation. His voice reflected a heartless and uncaring attitude.

"Accident? You don't do accidents. You never slipped up!"