14. Glass of Water

Jaiden found himself standing in the hallway in the house as the techs swept the area. They had bagged the pill that Jaiden had found and started the search the area for any blood that was overlooked. Nate kept grumbling about working overtime but shut his mouth the moment Jaiden sent him a glare.

"We're going to run tests on the pill you two found and we're looking for anything in the bathroom. Seems like they wanted to clean it for a reason." Nate said as his face softened. "You seriously shouldn't have gone in there. You know how you are after a migraine."

Jaiden smiled a little and patted his shoulder. "I got the lecture already. I'll be careful next time."

Nate gave him a skeptical look and turned towards Toni. "This asshole is stubborn as a mule. Next time, just sock him in the jaw. Maybe he'll listen then."

Toni chuckled. "He's still recovering from some pendejo hitting him. Besides, I think I would rather keep his face bruise free."

Toni leaned into Jaiden. "These techs are going to shit themselves soon if we keep breathing down their necks. How about some food."

Jaiden snorted. "Sounds good."

Toni drove him to a small restaurant. It was more of a casita that was renovated to be a family own restaurant. Which clearly meant that this would serve authentic and delicious food. That was the trick - find the least conspicuous place to eat and you will find a gem.

"Haven't been here before?" Toni asked.

"No, but it smells great in here." He closed his eyes and took in the scent of what was cooking.

The waitress approached them and carried on a conversation with Toni. He seemed to be a regular and she was excited to see him with someone else.

Toni introduced her to Jaiden, and she seemed more than enthusiastic to meet him.

"What can I get you to drink, handsome?" She asked with a wink.

Jaiden smiled a little. "Coffee."

"No. You need water." Toni interjected.

Jaiden frowned. "Water doesn't keep me awake."

Toni groaned. "All I have seen you drink is coffee and alcohol. You need water in your diet too."

"Technically, coffee has water in it. It's one of the key ingredients." Jaiden pouted.

Toni pursed his lips, not swayed by Jaiden's words. "Smartass. Water for the both of us."

Their food arrived shortly after they ordered, and Jaiden practically moaned with delight. It looked phenomenal, especially for someone who was a sucker for red chile.

He ate happily but noticed that Toni wasn't eating. He looked up and saw that Toni was watching him with a concerned look.

He stopped and put his fork down with a sigh. "You're looking at me like I'm going to die soon."

Toni was startled by the sudden conversation and looked away. He seemed a little embarrassed that he was staring so obviously. "I'm just worried."

"As a work partner or a lover?" Jaiden asked with a tilt of his head.

Toni snapped his attention back to Jaiden. "What? A lover?"

"Well, we haven't really been on a date unless you count breakroom coffee, so I can't exactly call it dating."

"I thought you didn't want anything like that with me." Toni said with a sigh.

Jaiden leaned back and ran his hand through his hair. "I'm still convinced I'm bad news for you, honestly. But I also said that the after the third coincidence, I won't consider it coincidence anymore."