Chapter 10: Memory Lane

3P

~•~•~•~

Life takes unexpected turns when you least want it to. You could be going down a path you'd planned to stay on for an eternity, when suddenly you're forced to take a left turn into the world of the unknown. This unknown path is left a mystery, no one is sure whether or not it held good or bad until they actually walked deep enough to see it. 

The first time Sophia experienced a bad left turn was when she was eleven years old. Her parents had put her to sleep one night after a meeting in their homes office with some men little Sophia didn't recognize.

She was sent to her grandparents house earlier that day and stayed with Abuelita and Abuelito up until 7 o'clock as her parents requested. When getting dropped off, she couldn't help her curious doe eyes from staring at what she described as "big scary men". She didn't have much time to look at them long, for the two men walked towards the black car parked in the Sanchez house driveway and left quickly. Sophia wanted to know who they were, why they were there, and what they wanted. Her parents had never brought business home, so this was weird.

When Mami and Papi came to get her from Abuelitos car, she made sure to ask them her plethora of questions, after hugging and saying goodbye to Abuela and Abuelo of course.

As soon as she was in her parents embrace, Sophia gave them a kiss and asked away. Mami and Papi shared a look before Mami answered her.  "Just business partners mi amor. Ellos no te deben de preocupar." (My love) (They shouldn't worry you.)

Sophia however, couldn't help her little girl thoughts that night when they'd put her to sleep in her room. Her parents both had kissed her cheek as they usually did every night. "Buenas noches mi chiquitita." (Goodnight my little girl.) They said. She rubbed a little hand on her tired eyes and whispered into the air, "Buenas noches Mami y Papi." (Goodnight mom and dad.)

Maybe it was because of the Spanish translated Monsters Inc. movie she had watched with Abuelita and Abuelito that day, or maybe it was her instinct that knew that those men weren't good news, but Sophia had felt scared that night.

Really scared.

The possibilities of who those men could be or what they could be had kept her up for hours.

Maybe they were aliens dressed as humans? It would explain Mami and Papi's mad faces when I got here. Maybe they scared Mami y Papi? Would they try and take them away from me? Take all of us?

Her fear only increased when she heard the shouting coming from downstairs. 

She knew something bad must've been happening for Mami and Papi to be speaking so loudly after putting her to bed. They always made sure to keep the house as quiet as possible. No TV, no business meetings after 7pm, no loud noises.

So why were they shouting?

Maybe they'd been talking to the monsters in my head? Telling them to let me be and stop taking away my princess sleep? Or maybe they'd seen Sullivan trying to sneak into my closet on the way out?

Well whatever it was, her curious little self couldn't wait any longer and decided to put her brave pants on to find out.

As her little feet reached her parents oak doors-the ones that served as entrance to their office-the voices got louder and louder making Sophia slow down her steps. She carefully tiptoed her way closer, making sure she wasn't making too much noise.

There was a little crack on the door, enough for her to peak inside, and to say her little girl thoughts were wrong is an understatement.

You know the saying 'curiosity killed the cat'?