❤Chapter 7

Chapter 7 - When The Romance Started?

The next day…

Cassis POV

“What do you expect me to do with this?” he said harshly. He thrust his jaw away to avoid another pill she was offering him. 

Due to his current circumstances, Cassis felt that he had to put a wall between himself and the girl. He had the right to act rebellious, anyway. The fact that she had already knocked him out twice was absurd. Not once, but twice! 

His anger rose. “I won’t eat anything you give me. Just give up,” he said.

The girl’s soft tone contrasted starkly against his bitter barking. Although her voice was sweet, her words were just as stubborn as his. 

“You didn’t comply before,” she said.

“And you expect me to be quiet now?” Cassis said. 

The girl did not pause at all from his harsh retort. 

“It’s good to be cautious,” the girl said. “The most dangerous adversaries are those that try to win your favour before you get to know them. Be careful of who you trust here. In fact, don’t accept anything from anyone other than me. No one else in this house will approach you with good intentions.”

Cassis was shocked. Was this girl the Devil? How could she be so confident that he would trust her? He hardly knew anything about her. 

Her voice sounded young and the outline of her styled hair and slim figure made him guess that they were about the same age. However, he couldn’t let down his guard because of her age or gender. She had already stunned him twice to make him swallow pills.

Yes, he held a grudge against her. Though if he was completely honest with himself, he was more comfortable than before. The girl did speak to him softly and her fingers were gentle when she touched his lips or one of his vital spots.

He couldn’t read this girl at all.

Cassis grew silent and stared at her. His vision was still obscure, but he attempted to read the atmosphere anyway and tried to recognize if the girl had ill intentions. 

The girl didn’t touch him, but calmly waited for him to speak again. 

“What did you feed me last time? I had a medicinal taste in my mouth after you left,” Cassis said. 

“I included some painkillers and antibiotics in your prescription,” she said. “I can’t treat your wounds without anyone else noticing. Be patient for a while. Once you’re able to walk, your muscles will feel less stiff.”

“Who—,” Cassis paused. The girl had answered his first question right away, yet there was no guarantee she would answer again. He was curious about her identity, but refrained from asking since he did not think she would tell.

“Does anyone plan to release me someday?” he changed the subject. He knew the answer even before she gave him silent confirmation. “Lant Agriche must plan to have me killed here,” Cassis said flatly.

Everyone besides the hermits living in the woods knew the reputation of Lant Agriche. He was a wild and provocative ruler. Whether Lant Agriche had kidnapped him because of the political strife between the Agriche and Pedelians, or some other issue with the Marchils, whom the Pedelians allied with; the specific reason didn’t matter. 

An Agriche would never release him. There was no need for it. If Cassis managed to escape, a war would break out between the Pedelians and the Agriche. The Pedelians would rain blood on anyone who tried to abduct their heir. Cassis himself would rather die than forgive the humiliation he had endured in this place.

“Who did you say?” the girl said uncomfortably. It was a redundant question. She had heard him speak.

“Lant Agriche,” Cassis said. 

Her silence again gave him grim satisfaction. At least he was more aware of his situation. He was curious about her reaction and a little proud that he had dumbfounded her.

“You won’t die, because I—,” her whisper near his ear ceased. Only the sound of their breathing broke the complete silence in the prison cell.

A faint sound echoed in the corridor. Someone seemed to be talking on an upper floor. The girl sighed and moved slightly, as if recollecting herself. She came closer to Cassis. 

Her hand gripped his chin softly. 

“Eat this,” she said. 

The texture touching his mouth was hard and thin, like a pill. Cassis looked at the girl’s face with his half-blind eyes. She was right here, but he still could not see her expression. His vision had improved since yesterday but was still lacking. 

Their eyes seemed to be level anyway. Cassis opened his mouth slowly. Unlike the first time, he swallowed the drug easily.

The girl did not leave after he had taken the pill and continued to stand in front of him. It was different from their previous encounters. In the other times, she had left the cell as soon as she had checked his condition. Did she feel sorry for him, now that he knew what the Agriche had planned for him?

Cassis focused on all five of his senses, wanting to read her clearly.

“Name,” he said.

“Yes?” she said.

“What is your name?” Cassis said.

He didn’t ask about her position. He only wanted to know her name. 

She didn’t answer.

Is that so, Cassis chuckled inwardly and gave up asking.

“Roxana.” Her whisper clung to his ear.

Roxana, his lips moved wordlessly. The name rang in his ears.

Roxana…

His vision was improving, as if a veil over his eyes were unraveling. The dark night he had never grown accustomed to was now fading behind his eyelids. The golden hair around Roxana’s shoulders illuminated her features, as if the sun was rising behind her.

It was still vague but he could see the colour clearly.

Those red eyes.

He was beginning to see her face.