❤Chapter 11

Chapter 11 - Sisterly Love - Roxana & Charlotte

My father seemed to enjoy my words. He said he would consider my proposal, but it was only a formality. His content and generous expression told me that Cassis would exclusively be under my care in future.

When Jeremy and I were excused from dinner, we bade our father farewell before leaving the dining hall. My mouth still felt filthy from describing the villainous acts I would do unto Cassis. They were all false statements. If I tortured Cassis excessively before releasing him from the castle, he might remember the shame I had inflicted on him. The result wouldn’t change from the original novel. Instead of feeling indebted, he might come back with allies and take his revenge on me. 

I only said the exact words that would please my father’s taste. Lant Agriche would want any Pedelian to be ruined and tortured in the most despicable way. Inflicting pain on a Pedelian would not please my father enough. He wanted to see the Pedelian heir break in mind, body, and spirit. 

“Sana, are you really going to play with the toy by yourself?” Jeremy said, walking beside me. He was still dumbstruck. I had already told him that I had an interest in Cassis, but he was starting to understand how much the prisoner meant to me; enough that I would even seek our father’s approval. 

This young boy. He squinted his eyes, thinking deeply. His mouth, usually lax or excited, was now pressed into a thin line. He seemed to feel threatened that I would pay less attention to him if I began to spend more time with Cassis. 

“Yes, I want to play with the toy,” I replied.

I felt someone’s presence behind me. Jeremy and I stopped speaking and turned to see the new arrival.

“What are you saying? Unni is going to teach the toy in the dungeons now?” A shrill, weedy voice shot across the corridor. Her tone was edged deeply with malice. 

My younger sister, Charlotte. 

She was one of my more insecure siblings that was still alive. Red hair enclosed her smooth, young face and clashed terribly with her green eyes. She hated her appearance because she did not resemble our father, Lant Agriche, at all. 

In a way, I envied her. No matter how beautiful I was, I would always feel bitter at my reflection. I had inherited my father’s red eyes and thin cheeks that only accentuated my feminine features. 

Charlotte scrunched her cute nose, disliking the conversation she had overheard. It was even more of an embarrassment to be found snooping around the dining hall since she had not been invited to the dinner, but she couldn’t hold back from showing herself after overhearing that her precious toy would be taken from her.

I smiled. “Yes, Charlotte. During dinner, I made a request to have the toy for myself.”

Since Dion had been absent, the family dinner had ended earlier than usual. Charlotte must have been surprised to see us leave so early. Her hiding place behind the curtain had not been well thought out. She seemed to have had the idea of talking to father alone to ask his permission to have the toy. She had already made a fuss with the guardsman in the dungeon to see Cassis.