The Race

Ifeel so giddy as I made my way through the crowds already headinginto the stands or strolling on the catwalks over the pit watchingthe various pod racer's as they get ready for the race. The lines tothe betting booths are not as long as expected as I join in rightnext to Watto. Though I had this planned.

"Stillgoing to bet on that looser Sebulba?"

"Healways wins little girl. I win that hundred Peggat from you too. Those engines are too small to have enough power to reach 850. I'llhave your money and that Nubian ship."

"Yourbet please."

"Sure1000 Peggat on Anakin Skywalker. Two hundred and fifty that Sebulbanever leaves the starting line." I glance over at Watto to see thereaction I hoped for as his eyes nearly popped out of his head.

"Iwill have to call this in. We don't have a betting line on whether aracer starts or not. That would cause cheating." I looked over atWatto as he whispered to the teller in front of him. I lean incloser.

"Oh, I don't care if he starts or not. Put all of it on Anakin winning. I just wanted to mess with Anakin's master as he always bets onSebulba."

"Istill should report this."

"Thisis Tatooine as long as I don't rip off a Hutt or his people whyshould you care?"

"Ineed to report this."

"Youwill not report this. It was a joke."

"Idon't have to report this. It was a joke."

"Thanks, can I get my copy now."

"Ohsure." The Zabrak typed everything in weighed and tested the coinsand recorded the bet before handing me a record chip. I knew it wasa lot and Anakin could still lose, but I was planning on headingtowards the Republic so I would have very little need of Huttcurrency. I followed Watto getting a surprised eyebrow raise fromQui Gon.

"Iwant to see your spaceship the moment the race is over."

"Patience,my blue friend. You'll have your winnings before the suns set, andwe'll be far away from here."

"Notif your ship belongs to me, I think. I warn you, no funny business."

"Youdon't think Anakin will win?" He stopped right next to Sebulba. Iwatched as he was being massaged by two females. I think they areTwi'leks as they are very beautiful.

"Don'tget me wrong. I have great faith in the boy. He's a credit to yourrace, but Sebulba there is going to win, I think." He looks atmean and he didn't feel as confident as he might have been.

"Why?"

"Healways wins." Laughing as he moves on. "I'm betting on Sebulbawith a small bet that Anakin at least finishes."

"I'lltake that bet." He looks directly at me before looking at Wattoagain. Watto is coughing a bit.

"What?!What do you mean?"

"I'llwager my new racing pod against... say... The boy and his mother."

"Iwant my pod back. Even if I have to trade my ship for it and mywinnings."

"APod for slaves. I don't think so... well, perhaps. Just one, themother, maybe. The boy isn't for sale.

"Theboy is small; he can't be worth much. The Toydarian shakes his head. Which aggravates the Jedi.

"Forthe fastest Pod ever built?!" Watto still shakes his head. QuiGon looks at me and then back at Watto.

"Thatpod could break the track record. Think of the extra winnings. Youcould get better trained slaves or even hire someone who wouldactually work."