~9~ (edited)

Meruem reentered the room silently, carrying a glass of water to you from his kitchen. He placed it on the coffee table in front of you, sitting on the other end of the couch.

You stared at the ground blankly, hands trembling and heartbeat increased. The ant frowned at this realization, and reached over to place his hand over yours gently.

You were instantly pulled from your trance, your attention redirected to Meruem. You smiled to let him know you would be alright, placing your free hand over his. You remained silent, fiddling with his hand for a while.

Though, Meruem still waited patiently, allowing you to get comfortable on your own. You were grateful for his efforts, and it calmed you in a way to know that he cared so much.

You took in a deep breath and released, finally deciding to break the silence. "My dad tried to follow me home." You started, Meruem giving every drop of his attention to you. "He could've... He could've done anything- that- that man is a murderer..." you struggled to speak, even thinking about your father made a knot well up in your throat.

"What if- what if he kidnapped me? What if he was trying to kill me?- or my mom, or my stepdad, or Ezekiel?!" You stressed. "What if- what if he comes back here, and tries to kill you?!" You began to panic, Meruem quickly pulled you close and held you in his arms. His touch was gentle, but was firm and nothing less than affectionate.

You only realized that you were tensed up when your body relaxed into his, you wrapped your arms around him too, beginning to cry into his shoulder. "I just- what if- what if someone I love gets- hurt?"

Meruem rubbed your back, his eyes closed, "Y/n, I will protect you," he stated softly. The two of you sat in silence together. your tears slowly coming to a halt. Your mind began to wander.

Although you weren't sure why, something about what he had said made it seem entirely true. You suddenly remembered something, and became curious. You pulled your face away from Meruem's shoulder and made eye contact with him.

"Meruem, earlier when you were talking to my father, you mentioned something that I didn't know. Are you able to tell me?" You asked curiously, Meruem stared at you silently for a moment before sighing.

He looked off into the distance, "I suppose now would be a good time to let you know.." He started, looking back at you. "You see, in the Chimera Ant species there are several sectors of birth. The queen, who lives to give birth to the most powerful King that she possibly can. The King, who receives all of the most powerful genes, and usually carries out the duty of spreading his seed. The royal guards, those are ants who take care of the King, and protect him from any harm. Etcetera etcetera." Meruem explained, you nodded along, not sure where he was going with this explanation.

"My mother is the queen, and I am the result of her consuming thousands of different powerful species so that I could have the power to rule the world undoubtedly." Meruem continued, you quickly caught on, "I am known as Lord Meruem to the Chimera ants, Pouf, Pitou, and Youpie are all of my royal guards," The ant finished, half expecting for you to run away.

"Wow, I never knew that.." you started, "So that's why you said Pouf, Pitou, and Youpi weren't your friends," your mood instantly lit up, "So since you're so strong, I don't have to worry about you?" You asked, Meruem smiled softly.

"Yes, that is true." He responded, tilting his head, "But, what about your family? Would you like me to look after them as well? I would not mind," He offered, but you held a hand up.

"I honestly doubt my dad would come around after finding out that you're here... I think I'll be okay, I'm not sure why I was so worried..." You sighed, " I think I was just stressed out, and shaken up because I can't exactly defend myself physically," You finished, Meruem linked his fingers together behind your back, staring into your eyes.

"Well, if not your family, I will still keep a watchful eye on you. It would be a shame to see you hurt." Meruem stated, smiling when he noticed a red tint painted across your face.

You looked away, currently too flustered to respond. It took a while for you to calm your heartbeat and steady your voice, but you still managed to. "Thank you," was the only thing that would utter from your mouth though, the situation entertaining the ant.

"So physical touch flusters humans?" Meruem asked, genuinely seeking an answer.

You covered your face with your hands, "Sometimes..."

Meruem tilted his head curiously, "In what situations does that happen?" He irked, you wanted to die on the spot.

"When-" You sighed, "When a human feels strong romantic attraction to another, the main response to any contact with that individual is to become flustered."

Meruem fell silent, prolonging your suffering in the spot. You decided to look at the ant, and noticed that he seemed to be pondering something.

"How is it, that you comprehend whether you feel 'romantically' for another?"