Unsure

February 14th

Faye Calinao

Ximen: Have Lei bring you back to the house or stay the night there

My sweater wiped the tears off my face as I read Ximen's message. Even though it was great being in Cha Eunwoo and Jinjin's presence for the evening, I couldn't help, but feel intimidated after Lei went off on me. Shancai was there to witness the entire thing and I felt embarrassed she had to see the whole thing.

Lei's mood went completely cold for the rest of the day with me. In the car on the way to the airport he did not speak to me and when we met with Cha and Jin, he'd stay a distance from me while acknowledging Cha and Jin. It wasn't noticeable that Lei was acting this way, but I knew he purposely avoided close contact with me. It would make me uncomfortable to ask him to take me home. 

The day with Cha and Jin took some of the discomfort that I was in. I enjoyed the arroz caldo he made. It was a comforting food for me and was perfect for the January weather. Jin and I made conversation and talked about the classes I was taking and he talked about what he was up to since I left Korea. Dinner consisted of laughs and jokes by Jin, and Cha made every attempt to make me feel welcomed and comfortable. I engaged with them with Lei sitting across from me eating and making small talk with Cha here and there.

I stood in the kitchen as I looked at Ximen's contact. At the moment, I already hit the call button and put the phone to my ear waiting for him to answer. It took a moment before the ringing stopped.

"Faye." Ximen acknowledged me from the other end.

"Hi Ximen," I spoke softly. There was a moment of pause.

"Are you alright?" He asked concerned and my heart ached slightly from his concern.

"I'm fine. I... wanted to hang out with you."

"Faye," he sighed. "I'm working on my thesis paper at Si's house. It's going to be a long night here."

"It's okay." In reality it wasn't, but I also did not want to be here in Lei's home.

"Faye..." Ximen said with a warning tone. "I wasn't happy when Lei brought you here a few weeks ago. You shouldn't be over here. Just spend the night at Lei's."

"Please Ximen?" I spoke lightly.

"Your friends are there. Why can't you stay there?" Why was it difficult for him to understand?

"Lei and I are kind of in a disagreement right now. I prefer not to stay at his house."

"Alright," I heard a sigh from the other end. "I'll be on my way in a few minutes. We'll go home maybe around two."

"Okay."

///

Walking next to Ximen, I went down to the modern base room they seemed to use as a study room. When we reached the bottom, I saw Doaming Si sitting at the counter. It looked like both Ximen and Doaming Si were working there.

Doaming Si's concentrated expression made me tighten my arm grip around Ximen. Ximen glanced towards me before Doaming Si. He looked from his work and his expression softened.

"Si," Ximen's tone suddenly changed.

"I know. I know. You broke my arm and gave me bad bruises that lasted weeks."

"I would have put you in the hospital longer if Lei and Meizuo did not stop me." The mention of Lei's name made me sad. A small distant heartache became more recognizable.

"Faye," Daoming Si said lightly and smiled slightly. I bit the inside of my cheek, because to me this seemed like he was acting only in front of Ximen. "I... do hope to gain your trust over time. Otherwise Ximen would not allow me to live another day. It was... very terrible of me to treat you the way I have treated you in the past."