𝟐𝟐. Confession

TRIGGER WARNING; Contains depictions of self-harm. If you are sensitive to such scenes please take care.

-----

Valentine had never been particularly thrilled to stand before the towering form of Malfoy Manor and now was no different. By her estimation, it was one AM, maybe two. The sun was yet to rise but even when it did it would fail to make the place any brighter.

Oddly enough, every window in the manor was lit, bright and shining like a hundred lanterns. Valentine frowned. That didn't even happen at a reasonable time when everyone was still awake. Malfoy Manor had never been known for its glowing lights painting golden shapes on the lawn.

Valentine spotted movement in one of the windows and sighed.

They've probably been waiting up for me. I can't imagine Narcissa or Draco sleeping easily after I left like that.

A tinge of guilt shot through her. She could rationalise it all she wanted, she was clever and could handle herself just fine but that wasn't the point. She was a fourteen-year-old girl that had run off on her own, into a world she had no first-hand knowledge of, without any more than a 'goodbye'. Even knowing herself and her abilities as she did, it was reckless. It would hardly make sense if she hadn't caused any worry with her actions.

She trudged towards the front door, letting her boots drag across the brickwork. What she would have done to never have to come back here again...

"Val!" The door flew open before Valentine reached the top of the steps.

Draco was standing there, breathing heavy, a light sheen of sweat coating his face.

"I can open the door myself, you know." She simply huffed.

Draco heaved out a sigh and let himself fall against the door frame.

"Mother....she...mother..." Draco swallowed, trying to catch his breath. "Mother's been out looking for you for hours now. So, are the Lovat's."

"Well, then they waste their time." Valentine pushed past him and into the entryway.

"Val...Where the hell did you go?"

He didn't sound angry, just tired and frustrated.

"Out."

"This isn't a joke."

"Do you hear me laughing?"

Draco sighed again and pulled the door shut behind them.

"I'm serious. You can't just leave like that."

"You can't tell me what I can and cannot do." She cut him a glare over her shoulder.

Draco dropped his head low but didn't take his eyes from hers.

"If you weren't home by tomorrow, mother was going to the Ministry to have them search for you, you know."

"Your mother is a fool."

"Usually I would agree with you..." said Draco. "...you really scared her, Val."

"And where's your father in all of this?"

"Gone. He left not long after you did. Val he- he was just so mad."

"Did he hurt you?" Valentine turned to face him.

"No, no." Draco shook his head firmly. "He and mother just yelled a bit and then he stormed off. We haven't seen him since."

"Can't you see it now, Draco?" Valentine stepped forwards, grasping her cousin's arms. "That's all he is. Noise. Loud, unnecessary noise. You just need to block him out."