𝟑𝟏. Thestrals

Darcy, as always, was hard to miss. So, when his shadow swooped across the Great Hall, everyone knew that Valentine had mail. Despite this, Leah felt the need to say.

"Val, it's Darcy!"

There was a large section of table beside Valentine open so instead of dropping the mail from above like he usually would, Darcy landed on the table.

Valentine reached out and took the envelope from his beak and placed it beside her cereal to open when she was done eating.

Meanwhile, her friends stared at the large bird nervously.

"Why is it still here? Quick, someone feed it something before it attacks." Blaze squeaked.

"You do it." Said Liam.

"If I could move right now, I would."

"You do it, Draco." Liam nodded to him. "He knows you more than us."

"Excuse me? Do I look like I want to have eyes pecked out of my skull? You do it, Leah!"

"Why do I have to do it!"

It's only the beginning of the day and they're already going full throttle with the dramatics I see.

Darcy gave a loud screech that made everyone but Valentine jump.

"Gah! Quick, quick! Throw it some toast or something!" Blaze covered his face with his hands.

Darcy blinked at Valentine with his bright amber eyes as if to say, 'you put up with this crap?'.

Valentine sighed, took a fork and stabbed at a piece of bacon from Draco's plate.

"Hey, that's-!"

"Your eyes are still on the menu." Valentine cut him off and his protests fell silent.

She held out the fork and the owl blinked at it several times. The others all seemed to be holding their breaths. Then Darcy snapped it up with a lightning-quick movement and took flight.

"My bacon..." Draco pouted as they watched the owl fly away.

"Here. Have mine in honour of your valiant sacrifice." Said Blaze. "I just lost my appetite due to crippling fear."

When Valentine finished her cereal, she picked up the envelope and tore it open. The letter inside bore Narcissa's elegant handwriting and so Valentine knew it was from her before she even read it.

Dear Valentine,

I need to apologise for your uncle's behaviour. I had no idea that he'd been called to the school as he neglected to tell me. I can assure you that I've made my displeasure that he did such known. He knows how I feel about his treatment towards you and I had hoped that after the summer, things would be easier between you two.

I'm most disappointed to hear about your behaviour, although I cannot say I'm surprised by it. Don't you think you're too old to act out like this? In just a few years you'll be a young adult so I hope you realise you cannot always behave like this. You must become civilised whether you like it or not. Please, reflect on your actions, if not for my sake, then our own.

However, whatever your manner, you are my niece and I love you. Disregard anything your uncle may have said about removing you from our home as I would never let that happen. You're my sister's daughter and have every right to be cared for by your own family.

Your aunt,

Narcissa Malfoy

Valentine folded the letter again and placed it back into the envelope. For all her aunt's many faults, the nagging, the enabling, the fussing, her honest love for Valentine and Draco made her hard to hate.