𝐀 𝐃𝐚𝐲 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐳𝐞 𝐙𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐢𝐧𝐢

When Blaze found himself awake, he groaned and cursed the world. Even before his eyes were open, he knew it was too early to be alive, to talk to people, to do things in general. He hated early mornings and he hated them even more so when they occurred without reason. 

He rolled on to his side and yanked the covers up over his head, hoping to fall back asleep. Leah would be arriving today and he would need all the energy he could scrounge up to deal with her particular brand of bat shit. 

Leah. Leah Lovat. Leah Josephine Lovat. His girlfriend. His girlfriend Leah Lovat. 

It had been months and it still sounded so new to him. 

He'd dreamt about her every night since the school year had finished and honestly, it was starting to get annoying. More than once he had caught his brother hovering over his bed when he woke, a cruel smirk on his face as he asked 'Pleasant dreams, little brother? You must miss that girlfriend of yours an awful lot'. Beckett, the brother in question was six years his senior and a sleazy jerk. Blaze wondered who he had killed in another life to be cursed with such an ass of a sibling. 

But...but he hadn't been entirely wrong. Blaze did miss Leah and it felt as irrational as it did annoying. Just about as annoying as somehow falling in love with her in the first place. It really didn't make any sense. Yes, she was excitable and funny and beautiful and creative but what did that have to do with anything? She was a first-grade spaz! She was difficult and loud and childish and that should have overridden everything else, right? So, why the hell did he miss her? Was it because he was so used to seeing her every day at school? But he saw Liam and Draco and Val every day as well and he didn't miss them half as much. It didn't make any damn sense!

Every time he thought about how he was going to get to see her again his heart did that stupid fluttering crap and he hated it. The first time it had happened he thought something had been seriously wrong with him and when he'd told Liam and Draco the jerks had laughed in his face! 'Ah, young love', Liam had said wistfully. 'That's disgusting', Draco had said without pause. Sometimes he wished he had no friends as much as he wished he was an only child. But if he hadn't had friends he wouldn't have met Leah and if he hadn't have met Leah he probably wouldn't have noticed how her left eye crinkled more than her right when she smiled or how her laugh seemed to change every day so every time he heard it, it was like the first time. 

Blaze rolled onto his stomach to bury his face in the pillow. Being in love was the greatest, suckiest, most brilliant, most ridiculous thing he'd ever done. And he'd done a lot of things that could be considered such.

He finally gave in, shifting on to his back again and throwing off the blanket. The room was dark, only the faintest of light starting to breach through the curtains. Squinting and rubbing at his face, Blaze looked over to the left and paused. His bedroom door was wide open. 

His mind immediately leapt to a horrifying monster and his heart stopped. Then he realised that it was more likely that Beckett had come in during the night to play a prank on him of some sort. But deciding it was far too early to deal with that crap, he started to get out of bed to close the door.

Then the voice chirped out from the right side of the bed.

"Good morning, my boy!"

"GAH!" Blaze tumbled out of the bed and hit the floor with a thud. He leapt up to his feet and glared across the bed at his father. "What the hell is wrong with you!"

"Don't be so rude, Blaze." His father, Nathaniel frowned. "I was just saying good morning."

"You can hardly call it morning! It's still dark out! Why are you in my room!"