𝟒𝟖. Prophecy

Valentine woke with a start. The sound of a slamming door had woken her and the following sound of footsteps made her lookup. Snape was standing before her.

"What happened?" She asked immediately, sitting straight as all traces of sleep left her to alertness.

"I have informed The Order." Said Snape. 

"And?" Valentine urged him, half out of the chair and readying to do anything. 

"Black was there at Grimmauld Place. Unharmed."

"Oh." Valentine blinked, relieved but also confused. "So, what Harry saw in his vision wasn't true then? What does that mean? Was this all some big mistake? Or does Voldemort now know about the link between them? He knows that if he can plant something like that in Harry's mind then he'll come running to help the only family he has left. That would mean this whole thing was a trap."

"So, it would appear." Snape nodded. 

Valentine leapt completely to her feet.

"Then we need to go after him. Now, before it's too late!"

"No." Snape stopped her. "There's something else I need to tell you. Dumbledore was there also. At Grimmauld Place."

"What? With The Order?" Valentine frowned. "There's no way that's where he's been this whole time."

"Of course he hasn't but that's not the point. He was always there when I arrived."

"And?" She prompted impatiently. "What about Harry and the others? What is being done?"

"The Order is being dispatched to the Department of Mysteries as we speak."

"If Voldemort fabricated this, why choose the Department of Mysteries? If all he wanted was to lure Harry into a trap then why choose the Ministry at all? There's too much risk in that when he could have chosen anywhere."

Snape stared at her a moment.

"What?" She snapped.

"I assume Dumbledore never told you of the prophecy then?" Snape arched a brow. 

"What are you talking about?"

Snape sighed. 

"It was said that the Dark Lord would be defeated by a child of those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies- July. This is why both Dumbledore and the Dark Lord believe that Potter will be the one to destroy him. The prophecy has been stored in the Department of Mysteries for we'll over a decade. Based on what the Dark Lord is aware of, I suspect he believes that the prophecy also holds a way to destroy the boy for good and secure his victory."

"You're kidding, right? Dumbledore never once mentioned a prophecy."

Snape seemed somewhat surprised.

"You mean to tell me, you've spent the last five years chasing after Potter knowing nothing more then Dumbledore thinks he's the Chosen One who will save us all?" 

Valentine opened her mouth to reply but wasn't sure what to say. Snape was right. She'd never questioned Dumbledore's motives past brief inquires. At the end of the day, she trusted the man explicitly, or at the very least, trusted that he wanted to stop Voldemort. And because of that trust, she would do whatever he'd ask of her within reason. She'd always been aware of this, from the day she agreed to play a part. When had she forgotten that?

Snape took her silence as an answer.

"It may have escaped that big head of yours but Dumbledore is rather fond of half-truths and keeping information to himself. Don't for a second ever suspect he's told you everything."