𝟔𝟏. Parents

"Alright, class!" Slughorn beamed. "Good work, good work everyone! That's it for today!"

Beside Valentine, Draco quickly started to pack away his things, eager to getaway.

"I'll catch up with you." She said.

"Why?" He frowned. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing important." She grumbled.

Liam noticed and sent Draco a questing glance across the table. Draco just shrugged and headed for the door.

Jane gave Valentine a small smile and led Liam from the room as well.

Things had cooled down after the incident in Hogsmead and everyone had taken the chance to sort out their feelings. Once Liam had properly apologized Leah and Blaze had instantly forgiven him. Valentine supposed they didn't want a repeat of what happened last year. Draco had been a bit more stubborn on the subject, but they were certain he would eventually come around too it. They all knew he had other things on his mind.

The situation with Jane Philips was different. They had almost accepted her as a friend and not just Liam's tag along. While Liam had the benefit of a friendship forged on six long years, Jane did not. Jane, of course, had apologized as well and fervently at that. But Valentine's friends were nothing if not loyal to her and would not easily forget things that were said. For the sake of Liam, they weren't outwardly hostile, but it was clear she wasn't wanted near them any longer outside of classes.

Valentine waited for the class to empty. Unsurprisingly the students were quick to make a run for it. These day's study time was a precious commodity.

She left her book on the table, still unopened since the school year had begun and approached Professor Slughorn causally.

"Sir." She stopped a few feet away.

"Oh, hello Miss Lestrange." He looked from a book, marking his place with his finger. "Can I help you with something?"

"About the other day." She said. "When I declined your invitation. You caught me a dreadful mood."

"Well, I'm sorry to hear that." Slughorn frowned.

"I wondered if it was still on offer?" Valentine tried not to grimace as she spoke. She was taking advantage of the fact that Slughorn hadn't known her for long. Her other teachers wouldn't have accepted this sudden change of pace so smoothly, but Slughorn wasn't her other teachers and his face immediately brightened.

"Of course, of course!" He stood, chuckling. "A girl of your brilliance is always welcome, my dear. I was a little taken aback when you denied me but I can't fault you for having an off day. I have been known to have my own from time to time after all."

"Hmm." Valentine hummed. If she said she'd listened to every word she would have been lying.

"And I will warn you that my dinners are quite the social event and, I mean no offence of course, but you don't strike me as overly social outside of those known to you. Not that I have an issue with that. Some of the brightest minds are the quietest in a crowd, I find." Slughorn rambled on, taking no notice of the blank expression she wore. "Take your Professor Snape for instance. I taught him myself, you see and he was always as talented as he was unenthused about social invitations. Always sulking in the corner. It would take me hours to lure him out. Very talented though, very talented indeed."

Wait a minute. Wait a damn minute. Is he seriously getting at that? Is he seriously telling me that I'm like Snape right now?

She felt her very soul frown and cross its arm disgruntledly. Her dislike for the comparison mostly came from the fact that she knew Slughorn wasn't completely wrong. Evil, prejudice mask or not, Valentine much preferred the company of a few friends or even the company of herself alone compared to that of a room full of faces that had no meaning to her. Parties and dinners and luncheons. Oh, how they dulled in the firelight of a quiet night and a book to herself.