iv. devil made me do it, but i also kind of wanted to

Four months had passed since Five joined the Commission. Four months of absolute hell for his partner-in-crime, Liv Elsey. After the first month of missions they stopped stepping on each other's toes, but they most definitely did not like each other. Five was indifferent to Liv, while she was still mad about the Handler forcing her to have a partner. Five was good at his job, even though she hated to admit it, but he was nowhere near as good at killing as her.

Five was talented, an asset one could say. He was smart, but still worked fast. Smart mouth with a smart brain made him a great agent, but Liv would never let him beat her. The Best Active Duty Agent of the Month spot had been reserved for her every single year since Calhoun got the position of Handler, but Five could take that away from her. The Handler liked him way more than she ever liked Liv, treating him like one would treat a lover. The Handler and Five flirted, a lot, and it was odd.

Even though Five was now young, her age, he still acted like he was sixty. He drank whiskey like it was water and flirted with women more than twenty years his senior. He wore suits, always, unless he was on missions. Five settled into his job well enough, Liv had to hand it to him, he took it way better than she did. But then again, he wasn't forced into it as she was.

Five sat next to Liv in the case room, reading a book with a young girl on it. Liv noticed the author, Vanya Hargreeves, Hargreeves just like Five. He was using a pen to write in the book, almost like he was annotating it.

"What are you doing?" Liv asked, looking into his book. "Are you two related?"

"My sister, well one of them." Five said, still looking down at the book.

"Are you editing her book?" she questioned, trying to get some information out of him. He rarely talked and when he did he did not reveal much about his life before becoming an employee.

"No, I am doing work," he stated.

"What work?"

Finally, Candace walked up to the two with a case file. Liv snatched it from her hands and immediately opened it.

"It's a fun one. Constantinople." Candace said, "Well have a good time."

"Thanks." Five said, still not looking up from his book.

Liv read through the case file and it was a fun one. No one was going to die, at least no one was planned to die, the only thing they had to do was to distract a boy. Simple. She turned to Five, smiling, and saw that he was still paying absolutely no attention to her or the case.

"What is so important that you haven't looked up from that book?"

"Nothing." Five huffed. "I'm just figuring out how to make those one thousand seven hundred and four days go by real faster."

***

Liv and Five spent many missions in times long ago, this time they were in 1453. Five still carried his book with him, but tucked it into the cloak of his clothes. That was one of the fun things about the job, all of the outfits. The two were hiding behind a building, observing their target. The mission was simple, distract the guard from locking the gates. They didn't need to kill him, just distract him.

"I say we kill him, no sense in leaving him alive." Five stated.

Liv turned to him, "Well the mission isn't to kill him, is it? I'll distract him, you clearly don't know how to talk to people."

"I'll shoot him right now." Five said, clearly trying to get a reaction out of her.

"You don't have a gun because that is not what we are supposed to be doing." Five started making his way up to the guard, Liv chasing after him. "Do not kill him or I will report you to the Handler."