iii. here i am, right where you left me

Five sat in the front of a club, watching a lady with a feather fan dance upon the stage. Before meeting Liv he would have enjoyed the show. In the apocalypse he would frequently pretend that the woman on stage was Dolores. But that was all over now. Dolores was back with her friends, back with her people. He missed Dolores.

He missed Liv as well. Even if it had only been mere hours since he had seen her last. He missed her and their job. Liv missed their job as well, most likely more than she missed Five. She liked working at the Commission. She said it gave her purpose. That was why she went back. After the world was saved, she had nothing to do with her time. Liv was of no use to anyone, except for him. She was his partner. He needed her.

What if she had gone back to the Commission when she couldn't find anyone else? What if she was back in the clutches of the Handler and was being sent on missions at that very moment? Every time she was lonely she went back to the Commission. Every single time. Of course she went back.

"She's too young for you," a voice said from over his shoulder.

Five smirked, "Nice to see you too, Luther."

"What do you want?" He asked, his voice stern. Clearly, everyone was pissed at him for stranding them in time.

"For you to stop hovering like an ambitious stripper and sit down with me."

Luther pulled another chair out from the table and sat down. He made the chair seem fit for a dwarf with his broad shape.

"How long have you been here?"

"A year, thanks to you."

"I'm sorry, Luther. I know that couldn't have been easy."

"I thought everybody was dead," He looked over Five's shoulder at some people at a table before going to stand up, "I gotta go."

Five grabbed onto his arm, "Luther, wait! Look, I get it, okay? I know what it's like to be stuck in time...thinking this is how you're gonna live out the rest of your life. On the run, and not knowing if you're ever going to see the people you love again, and to be in an unfamiliar world. But Luther, you're not alone. We have to find the others because the world ends in ten days. I have no idea how to stop it."

Luther pulled his arm out of Five's grasp. "I don't give a shit."

Five chased after Luther as he made his way to the bar, "What the hell is wrong with you, Luther? I just told you the world's gonna end in ten days."

He shrugged, "Yeah. Well, you're always saying that."

"And so far, I've been right."

"Look, you want to go save the world, knock yourself out. All right? I already got a job."

"Wait, you work in this shit hole?" Five scoffed.

"Yeah. Well, my boss owns the place. I'm his body man."

"What's that? Like a masseuse or something?"

"Okay, you can make fun all you want, but I take good care of Mr. Ruby."

Of course everything had to be connected to JFK. It wasn't enough that Diego had to be obsessed with Lee Harvey Oswald, Luther had to be too. "The Jack Ruby? The gangster who shot Oswald?"

Luther smiled, proud of himself, "Yeah, the one and only."

"Well, it finally happened. That gorilla DNA has taken over your mind."

"Hey! Watch it, all right? Jack's a good friend."

"And you're Number One. Numero Uno, remember?"